Just got a new Marlin Model 60....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a ton of contradictory information on the interwebs about cleaning frequency and preferred methods of cleaning the bore. I am looking for opinions on the traditional rod cleaners vs. a bore snake, frequency of cleaning and cleaning/lubricating materials. Marlin's manual suggests every 500 rounds.

Also, I have yet to fire this particular gun. Would you suggest anything more than a bore cleaning before getting started?

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was mine then I would clean the bore, make sure that all of the little parts that go clickety clack are lightly lubricated, then bang away. I wouldn't bother cleaning it until it starts having problems. It will either start jamming or your groups will be getting larger. Your rifle will tell you when it wants to be cleaned. Better to clean it from the back of the barrel, therefore a bore snake would be the better option. And you should try a variety of different ammunition in your gun. Most guns will work better with one or two different kinds of ammo. Some guns will work only with a certain type of ammo. My Marlin 60 does not like Remington. But yours might.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
60s will run quite awhile without much cleaning. The one thing you have to watch out for on those is the recoil buffer in the rear of the receiver. It's internal and the older ones will eventually crack and/or shatter. Other than that the 60s are great guns.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I plan on taking it out this weekend for the first time, so we shall see how it goes. I got 100 rounds each of CCI mini mags and Remington Viper ammo to see what she likes.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
60s will run quite awhile without much cleaning. The one thing you have to watch out for on those is the recoil buffer in the rear of the receiver. It's internal and the older ones will eventually crack and/or shatter. Other than that the 60s are great guns.

This is good advice.

Nothing wrong with a Model 60 at all. I would suggest a bore snake when you clean it so that you are not pushing the crud back into the action. Mine would get a little gummy after 500 rounds or so, but it was a dependable gun. I traded it off several years ago, but would love to still have kept it.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 60 is my favorite .22lr even over my 10/22.

The 10/22 is much easier to load and disassemble but I enjoy my 60 more and for me its more accurate.

Aside from Flatwins good advice, also watch the feed throat. The little cast aluminum box that feeds rounds into the barrel.

They are also a common failure point. No worries though, nothing inside that cant be replaced cheap and easily.

Enjoy a great addition to your collection.

This may help as well...

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom