Kel Tec PF9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From researching online i've been leaning towards the Kel Tec PF9 due to the fact that it is so small and it's very reasonably priced ($300-$350). I've also read great things about the Kahr PM9 but I could buy three PF9's for the cost of one Kahr. I really also like the Walther PPS 9mm but what do you fellas think about the choices? Sure i would like to save a little money but more often than not you get what you pay for and the Kel Tec being the cheapest really has me second guessing it. Thanks for the advice

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From researching online i've been leaning towards the Kel Tec PF9 due to the fact that it is so small and it's very reasonably priced ($300-$350). I've also read great things about the Kahr PM9 but I could buy three PF9's for the cost of one Kahr. I really also like the Walther PPS 9mm but what do you fellas think about the choices? Sure i would like to save a little money but more often than not you get what you pay for and the Kel Tec being the cheapest really has me second guessing it. Thanks for the advice

The PF9 is truly a personal defense pistol. What I mean by this is that you will not want to take this out and practice with it a lot. It has a long and stiff trigger. There is no other safety than the trigger. It doesn't need anything else. You don't fire this pistol unless you mean too. I bought a couple of these for my daughters. They are great for what they are, but if you have any desire to master shooting, this is not the gun. You will wear yourself out after 50 rounds or so. The trigger is narrow and will wear your finger out. Also with the long trigger pull, it is hard to stay on target. It is a great conceal gun, but it is so small that if you have a large hand, it is hard to get a good grip. The recoil is harsh, and with a limited grip, its hard to get back on target fast.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it is the top selling conceal pistol. I'm just letting you know, that this is not for someone who wants to do a lot of shooting or for accurate shooting out past 20ft or so. If you do get it, I would suggest you get the magazine extenders, the add on trigger boot and a hogue slip on grip.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PF9 is truly a personal defense pistol. What I mean by this is that you will not want to take this out and practice with it a lot. It has a long and stiff trigger. There is no other safety than the trigger. It doesn't need anything else. You don't fire this pistol unless you mean too. I bought a couple of these for my daughters. They are great for what they are, but if you have any desire to master shooting, this is not the gun. You will wear yourself out after 50 rounds or so. The trigger is narrow and will wear your finger out. Also with the long trigger pull, it is hard to stay on target. It is a great conceal gun, but it is so small that if you have a large hand, it is hard to get a good grip. The recoil is harsh, and with a limited grip, its hard to get back on target fast.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it is the top selling conceal pistol. I'm just letting you know, that this is not for someone who wants to do a lot of shooting or for accurate shooting out past 20ft or so. If you do get it, I would suggest you get the magazine extenders, the add on trigger boot and a hogue slip on grip.

Very helpful advice. I figured the recoil would be a little rough due to the fact that the gun is so light, but I would rather deal with the recoil if a situation presented itself instead of sacrificing and going with a smaller caliber. Congrats on getting the girls interested in shooting. I'm in the process of getting my wife and sister into the mix as well.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd meet in the middle and try out a Kahr CW9. The trigger feels much better (to me) than the PF9, and it's a lot cheaper than the PM9.

I appreciate Kel-Tecs for what they are, but I personally wouldn't trust a gun from a company that admits that for some of their pistols to be considered reliable, you must do a "fluff and buff".

I'm incredibly satisfied with my Kahr, and it didn't break my bank.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My PM9 has been great, it was pricey but they are well built and hold their value well. I looked long and hard at the PF9 and didn't care for the trigger.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My PF9 is my daily carry and I also take it to the range as often as possible. No, I don't put more than 40-50 rounds per trip but that's enough (over time) to get a real feeling of security with it. Yes, it has significant recoil and you sure don't want to limp wrist it. But it's fairly easy to get back on target quickly once you have put a few hundred rounds down her. Great SD weapon in my opinion

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned several keltecs and don't believe it would be a bad choice. Even if you didn't like it you could sell it here and probably get your money back or most of it. There are some nice guns with nice prices so it boils down to what YOU want to spend.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the keltec is a good gun for the price (iv got one) the main thing i like about it is its narrow, i dont carry it very much, but if you can afford something else i would check out several other brands, glock, beretta, ect. handle everything you can (if money permits)...:w000t:

Latest posts

Top Bottom