Ken Burns - Vietnam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost every time I walk out of the liquor store with a six pack of Schlitz, I always have an older guy say, "I drank that in Viet Nam".

Had a few relatives serve in Viet Nam....one lost an eye from shrapnel on a mine.

Had a good buddy in high school who's dad would talk about flying helicopters in Nam.....he had to have a few beers in him before he would speak of his experiences over there....also a cigarette with his beer.

One time we were on the back porch, his son, a few other guys and myself. Yes he had a few beers in him and pulled out his Viet Nam Zippo to light his cigarette. Just.....just....to see and hear his response I asked him this question. I knew what he was going to say but I wanted to hear him say it in his military (retired colonel) voice.

Did you ever kill any women and children in Viet Nam?

His answer:

I killed anything and everything that pointed at gun at me.........men, women, children, cows, dogs, monkeys, birds...whatever.

I wanted to get back to Oklahoma to my wife and children, to do that I had to make THEM die before they killed me.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, I wanted to see it but the old man was watching football. I'll go see if it airs at another time. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm sure it'll be on their streaming app after it airs on broadcast. I was just glancing the other night at it and it looks like they have a lot of cool stuff to stream on firestick, appleTV, etc.

Edit: Nope....Its on NOW!

http://www.pbs.org/show/vietnam-war/

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I'm recording it. Old man is watching football. And besides, if I try to watch it while he is home I won't be able to hear the narrator over him. He only talks when a show is on ... and gets quiet as a church mouse when the commercials come on. I'm telling y'all I truly love him. If I didn't I'd have smothered him in his sleep already. LOL

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant' stand when people talk when a show I am interested is on.If I wanted to talk to you I wouldn't have turned on the tv.

I have to say it is a testament to how much I love him that I haven't strangled him with my bare hands by now. Thank GOD for DVRs ... I have no doubt ours has saved our marriage. :censored::censored::censored::disappoin

Latest posts

Top Bottom