Kentucky court clerk....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has Trump said anything about this yet? I can't find anything. Single digit Repubs are going off the rails as was to be expected.
Other candidates such as businessman Donald Trump, the current GOP front-runner, have either remained silent on the issue or declined to weigh in.

"I don't know enough about it to comment on it," Trump said during a wide-ranging press conference Thursday. "Was she jailed? I really don't know much about it."

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She does have a right, the Supreme Court ruled years ago that you do not lose your rights because you work for government. They have also ruled that the government can not force you to give up your religious beliefs, and that gay marriage is legal. See what needs clarification yet? As Roberts said when gay marriage was passed, the area of religious freedom vs gay rights needs a lot more work and more cases would soon be before the courts.

On a side note, isn't it amazing how the people preaching tolerance do not practice it at all. Her and her family have been threatened with death, making the husband watch as she was raped, and some of the comments in this thread were not all that tolerant either. Seems tolerance only applies to those who agree with the PC.

What needs clarification? Not only did she refuse to issue the licenses she refused to allow others in the department to issue the licenses. She is forcing her prejudices on others.

I for one have no concern if she suffers greatly, she is intentionally and maliciously tormenting others. Sometimes we call people like that "evil" or "monsters", in her case we call her a Christian.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The judge should also have added a fine equal to her salary. Now she's making $80k from the taxpayers to sit in jail.

Let us keep in mind that she was elected to the position after her father retired, and she employs her son as one of her deputies; the love of political power seems to be strong in that family.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What needs clarification? Not only did she refuse to issue the licenses she refused to allow others in the department to issue the licenses. She is forcing her prejudices on others.

I still can't figure out what she will actually recognize as a valid ruling. Say she does get to the high court and they rule against her. Would she buy it? I doubt it.

It's one thing to say that she has personal religious objections and something different to extend those views to the other clerks and the residents of her county.

How far away from her does her 'religious freedom' get to radiate? I really wouldn't care if she objected to same sex marriage and didn't want to issue the license herself, but to keep others in her office from doing so crosses that line because her views are now being forced upon the people who work under her. (for the record, the 'i'm part of this marriage because my name is on a piece of paper' to total ********).

Her actions here aren't just affecting her, but all of those who have sought a marriage license.

But again, i doubt she will view any ruling that does not support her view of gay marriage as valid.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The judge should also have added a fine equal to her salary. Now she's making $80k from the taxpayers to sit in jail.
IANAL, but it looks like this statute might apply: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=19888

The penalty for a Class A misdemeanor in Kentucky is a jail term not to exceed 12 months, and the fine is not to exceed $500, unless otherwise provided by law. (Willful neglect of duty by county judges, attorneys, constables, sheriffs, etc, is a fine of no less than $100 and no more than $1000, and conviction on that charge includes rendering the office vacant. Doesn't appear to apply to clerks, though.)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK boys and girls it simple terms, there should have been a way put into place for people that object on religious grounds to have someone else do it. In NC they passed a law that says who does it if one of them object. The Supreme Court could have said that needs to happen BUT they insisted that safe guards were already in place. This clearly shows that to not be true.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK boys and girls it simple terms, there should have been a way put into place for people that object on religious grounds to have someone else do it. In NC they passed a law that says who does it if one of them object. The Supreme Court could have said that needs to happen BUT they insisted that safe guards were already in place. This clearly shows that to not be true.

BS. She could have easily turned to one of the five others and said, 'you do it'.

But she didn't.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

She has six deputies, five of whom have volunteered to issue the licenses (her son being the holdout). She refused to allow them to do so; they've stepped up since she's been jailed. She didn't just object, she actively obstructed.

This isn't about her personal beliefs; this is about her desire to forcibly impose her beliefs on others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom