Killers of the Flower Moon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to see movie today. Read the book a few months ago. There is another book about this that I read a few years ago. The Osage Indian Murders. To me it was much better. Have a lot of kin that have lived in Osage County since before I was born (52) but never heard any of this. Non were Osage though.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate reading. Not because I don’t enjoy a good read but because my mind wanders and I can’t stay focused. Joe rogan was talking about this and highly recommends it. I might give it a try
Man, you too? I used to be able to eat a meal, watch the football game and play chess at the same time but no more. Reading is boring to me. I have dozed off many times reading.

Let me ask a question of you two guys. When you are reading, and your mind wanders, do you find you have still been reading but do not remember what you just read? I will have read about three or four paragraphs and realize I didn't even understand or remember what I just read.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma tribes fear 'Killers of the Flower Moon' won't be taught in schools due to recent education law

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (KOKH) — Killers of the Flower Moon is putting the spotlight on the Reign of Terror, a string of dozens of murders of Osage people in the 20's for money, land and power.

Some tribal leaders are concerned the chilling story won't be told in Oklahoma classrooms, based on a recently passed Oklahoma law, HB1775.

It's a story shedding light on a gruesome history, a history that according to the former Chief of the Osage Nation, hasn't been told for decades.

"We owe it to those people who died and who suffered during that decade in the 20's to have some recognition in our history books that it happened and this was wrong," former Chief Jim Gray said.

Gray is a direct descendent of one of the people murdered in the newly released film, so it's a personal story to him.

His ancestor, Henry Roan, is one of the many Osage men and women killed for head rights on oil rich lands, a dark chapter of Oklahoma history that was left out of the textbooks.

"My family's story the story of the Osage Reign of Terror that's documented in this book and movie wasn't taught in public schools before," Gray said.

Even with the release of the Martin Scorsese movie, many tribal leaders are still concerned the story won't be shared in public schools because of the new law.

House Bill 1775 passed in 2021. It prohibits educators from teaching that an individual is inherently racist or oppressive based on their race, an individual bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, or that any individual should feel discomfort or guilt based on race.

Critics of the law say teachers are on thin ice teaching topics about race, in fear of losing their teaching certificates or district's accreditation status based on how a student might react to lesson plans.

"Whether it makes anybody feel good or not is that the point. History is not there to make us feel good. History is there to help educate us so that when there were mistakes in the past they don't get repeated," the former Osage Nation chief said.

The Chickasaw Nation Governor, Bill Anoatubby, agrees. He believes it might be difficult to walk the line between educating and avoiding any infractions.

"Teaching it in the school systems they have to be more delicate I think, but I don't know how to make this more delicate," he said.

But the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Kevin West, previously told FOX25 that teaching history shouldn't be a concern.

"We need to be in a position where we're teaching the children what actually happened in history and let them work through what that means to them," Rep. West said "We need to know the history and this bill does not suppress teaching actual history. It doesn't suppress any of those conversations that need to be had."

The Representative from Moore added in a previous interview that it's not about how a student responds, it's how a teacher teaches.

"If a child feels discomfort or anguish or any of those things because of their race or sex, we violated the law. That's now what the law says. It says that you're not going to teach the concepts so that they should feel those things," he said.

Regardless, the Osage Nation and other tribes have passed resolutions calling for the repeal of the law, in hope that their history is never suppressed again.

"If we expect to keep it from happening again we need to know about it," Gov. Anoatubby said.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklah...-taught-in-schools-due-to-race-education-law#.....
Thoughts?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me ask a question of you two guys. When you are reading, and your mind wanders, do you find you have still been reading but do not remember what you just read? I will have read about three or four paragraphs and realize I didn't even understand or remember what I just read.

Depends on what I’m reading. This has happened to me, but usually it’s because I’m really not interested in the subject matter, or the author doesn’t write with an engaging style, or both. I’m now reading a biography of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia in the 18th century; I’m sure most people would find it a boring topic, but the author writes well, so I don’t find my mind wandering as I read it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom