Killers of the Flower Moon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma tribes fear 'Killers of the Flower Moon' won't be taught in schools due to recent education law

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (KOKH) — Killers of the Flower Moon is putting the spotlight on the Reign of Terror, a string of dozens of murders of Osage people in the 20's for money, land and power.

Some tribal leaders are concerned the chilling story won't be told in Oklahoma classrooms, based on a recently passed Oklahoma law, HB1775.

It's a story shedding light on a gruesome history, a history that according to the former Chief of the Osage Nation, hasn't been told for decades.

"We owe it to those people who died and who suffered during that decade in the 20's to have some recognition in our history books that it happened and this was wrong," former Chief Jim Gray said.

Gray is a direct descendent of one of the people murdered in the newly released film, so it's a personal story to him.

His ancestor, Henry Roan, is one of the many Osage men and women killed for head rights on oil rich lands, a dark chapter of Oklahoma history that was left out of the textbooks.

"My family's story the story of the Osage Reign of Terror that's documented in this book and movie wasn't taught in public schools before," Gray said.

Even with the release of the Martin Scorsese movie, many tribal leaders are still concerned the story won't be shared in public schools because of the new law.

House Bill 1775 passed in 2021. It prohibits educators from teaching that an individual is inherently racist or oppressive based on their race, an individual bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, or that any individual should feel discomfort or guilt based on race.

Critics of the law say teachers are on thin ice teaching topics about race, in fear of losing their teaching certificates or district's accreditation status based on how a student might react to lesson plans.

"Whether it makes anybody feel good or not is that the point. History is not there to make us feel good. History is there to help educate us so that when there were mistakes in the past they don't get repeated," the former Osage Nation chief said.

The Chickasaw Nation Governor, Bill Anoatubby, agrees. He believes it might be difficult to walk the line between educating and avoiding any infractions.

"Teaching it in the school systems they have to be more delicate I think, but I don't know how to make this more delicate," he said.

But the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Kevin West, previously told FOX25 that teaching history shouldn't be a concern.

"We need to be in a position where we're teaching the children what actually happened in history and let them work through what that means to them," Rep. West said "We need to know the history and this bill does not suppress teaching actual history. It doesn't suppress any of those conversations that need to be had."

The Representative from Moore added in a previous interview that it's not about how a student responds, it's how a teacher teaches.

"If a child feels discomfort or anguish or any of those things because of their race or sex, we violated the law. That's now what the law says. It says that you're not going to teach the concepts so that they should feel those things," he said.

Regardless, the Osage Nation and other tribes have passed resolutions calling for the repeal of the law, in hope that their history is never suppressed again.

"If we expect to keep it from happening again we need to know about it," Gov. Anoatubby said.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklah...-taught-in-schools-due-to-race-education-law#.....
Thoughts?

Bill Anoatubby seems to have not actually read the bill.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to really enjoy seeing epics on the big screen.

Last we seen, Oppenheimer, was a good historical movie. The $52 for 2 tickets, dink and popcorn made that probably the last movie I see in a theater.
You need to take the wife to the Liberty Theater in Carnegie. It’s a cool old movie theater with cheap tickets and cheap concessions. Also, they have incredible hot dogs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work as the contract pumper on 3 large Osage county oil leases one of which was owned by the Hunt Brothers at that time.
In the pump shack was a large leather bound journal and ledger that well information was written in dating back to 1903. Frank Phillips signed some of the entries.
One lease had approx 25 miles of push rods running from the motor sheds to individual well pumps. The genius of the pump motor running 6 well pump jacks at the same time was some cool engineering.
There are some old boom town sites I would love to metal detect for silver coins
All those boom towns and company towns are on private property now. When Phillips still owned the property and the people were all gone, we used to wander through them when a kid. Most have been bulldozed and hauled away. There are some county roads running through some of the big ranches one can still drive on that go by some of the old foundations, but one would have to get permission to visit them to metal detect. Those ranchers are not friendly to trespassers.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My great grandfather was custodian over 5 Osage headrights. The movie seemed to be an accurate representation of the greed related to the sudden Osage wealth that negatively impacted so many. As with most books made into movies there were some differences.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I hate reading. Not because I don’t enjoy a good read but because my mind wanders and I can’t stay focused. Joe rogan was talking about this and highly recommends it. I might give it a try

I think you might be Autistic. I can’t focus either reading books. Pretty sure I’m undiagnosed autistic.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was a Hollywood boss, I'd cut the movies to 2 hours-ish for theaters and then release an extended version, if justified, when it releases to the stream world.

I like movies, but too many are too long for a theater imo.
I'd bet that a director like Scorsese has a "Final Cut" clause in his contracts, so the studio head wouldn't be able to shorten it.

If it's over two hours, though, they should build an intermission into it. The last movie I remember seeing with an intermission was Gettysburg, and that was...dadgum, that was 30 years ago...

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma tribes fear 'Killers of the Flower Moon' won't be taught in schools due to recent education law

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (KOKH) — Killers of the Flower Moon is putting the spotlight on the Reign of Terror, a string of dozens of murders of Osage people in the 20's for money, land and power.

Some tribal leaders are concerned the chilling story won't be told in Oklahoma classrooms, based on a recently passed Oklahoma law, HB1775.

It's a story shedding light on a gruesome history, a history that according to the former Chief of the Osage Nation, hasn't been told for decades.

"We owe it to those people who died and who suffered during that decade in the 20's to have some recognition in our history books that it happened and this was wrong," former Chief Jim Gray said.

Gray is a direct descendent of one of the people murdered in the newly released film, so it's a personal story to him.

His ancestor, Henry Roan, is one of the many Osage men and women killed for head rights on oil rich lands, a dark chapter of Oklahoma history that was left out of the textbooks.

"My family's story the story of the Osage Reign of Terror that's documented in this book and movie wasn't taught in public schools before," Gray said.

Even with the release of the Martin Scorsese movie, many tribal leaders are still concerned the story won't be shared in public schools because of the new law.

House Bill 1775 passed in 2021. It prohibits educators from teaching that an individual is inherently racist or oppressive based on their race, an individual bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, or that any individual should feel discomfort or guilt based on race.

Critics of the law say teachers are on thin ice teaching topics about race, in fear of losing their teaching certificates or district's accreditation status based on how a student might react to lesson plans.

"Whether it makes anybody feel good or not is that the point. History is not there to make us feel good. History is there to help educate us so that when there were mistakes in the past they don't get repeated," the former Osage Nation chief said.

The Chickasaw Nation Governor, Bill Anoatubby, agrees. He believes it might be difficult to walk the line between educating and avoiding any infractions.

"Teaching it in the school systems they have to be more delicate I think, but I don't know how to make this more delicate," he said.

But the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Kevin West, previously told FOX25 that teaching history shouldn't be a concern.

"We need to be in a position where we're teaching the children what actually happened in history and let them work through what that means to them," Rep. West said "We need to know the history and this bill does not suppress teaching actual history. It doesn't suppress any of those conversations that need to be had."

The Representative from Moore added in a previous interview that it's not about how a student responds, it's how a teacher teaches.

"If a child feels discomfort or anguish or any of those things because of their race or sex, we violated the law. That's now what the law says. It says that you're not going to teach the concepts so that they should feel those things," he said.

Regardless, the Osage Nation and other tribes have passed resolutions calling for the repeal of the law, in hope that their history is never suppressed again.

"If we expect to keep it from happening again we need to know about it," Gov. Anoatubby said.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklah...-taught-in-schools-due-to-race-education-law#.....
Thoughts?
American history needs to be taught first. Every year they teach less. The HB1775 is good. No one should be taught they are racist from past the mistake others made in the past. However, they can teach this kind of stuff with an understanding and how it’s taught to ensure the children don’t think it’s their fault. It’s all how the curriculum is structured and the teacher teaches.
My thought is- if it’s really controversial or ugly history, it need to be taught so the same mistakes are hopefully not made again.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Anoatubby seems to have not actually read the bill.
He also says the Chickasaw nation is unconquered and unconquerable with 5 Billion in the bank after bills are paid….while being 42% (minimum) funded by the government. You know things like health, food, education, housing to name a few.

Latest posts

Top Bottom