Laws of private property, got some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of a 40 acre place there is some nice deer in that cross to my property.
Anyway just for the heck of it I looked up the landowner through the assessor office, to see if I could get permission to hunt it. He acted as he can't remember where it is off the top of his head because he hasn't been out to it in a long time. I thought it was kind of strange however I think he has lots of $ as he owns a few areas this size according to the assessor. He said sure I don't mind if ya hunt there. Well I noticed and told him it is posted in 2 places no trespassing! He said he don't mind if I go there and hunt but "be careful to not get shot or anything." he said he did jot post it..But he seemed very nice. For the heck of it to be sure he truly owned the place I called the assessor office and they confirmed he is owner but shares the 40 acre with 2 other guys. I have the guys names but cannot find anything about them online in the county assessor. The guy sounded like a busy guy and it took him a week to call me back, so I hated to bother him again.

Anyway I just wondered if you would be worried to hunt the place? I am worried since I did see some 4 wheeler tracks into the lot. Maybe it is someone who either don't have permission or maybe one of the other landowners.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you went to the assessors office, you have or can get his name and address.

Put a self addressed stamped envelope along with a prewritten note that gives you permission to hunt, leave a spot for him to sign. Send this in another envelope along with an explanation on what your doing.

All he'd have to do is sign your note, put it in the envelope and drop it in the mail. Or you can get the names of the other people on the deed and see if they will help.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Online must not be very updated. It only shows 1 owner name online on property card. When I called the office they said it had 2 additional owners.

The 1 listed is usually the official point of contact and may not even be the actual owner ie. lawyer or trust co. etc.
Best to go to the courthouse and look up the deed copy.

The guy you talked to may be partners with the 2 other guys and have had a falling out with them. He tells you "go ahead" then the other 2 catch you there and call the sheriff.
You need written permission from somebody.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I would definately get written permission, if you were on the property while NOT hunting and you got caught by the other owners all they can do is ask you to leave, but since you are gonna be hunting with a rifle the other owners could shoot you and say that they feared for their lives. Though it is not likely to happen it still can happen. Where is this land located?

Latest posts

Top Bottom