Lawton, OK getting to be a tuff city.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should hire an armed man to gaurd your truck if you park it in Lawton. The place is a mad house, an urban hell hole. Don't get caught out after dark. Move in crowds. Keep an eye out. Leave your family at home where it's safe. You probably won't be able to hack it in Lawton. Especially if you come from a highly advanced utopian paradise like Oklahoma City.

bout time you recognize THE OKC.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any decent places to stay at there that is safer than others as far as burglary or vandalism goes? I am probably going to Superdaves show there and would really rather not have my truck broken into or messed up!!
Also what about decent places to eat, movie theatres, or other activities after the show on saturday?
Really?!?!?? I mean...REALLY?!?! Do you think its that much worse than ...ANY other motel/hotel that are targeted by thieves and nar-do-wells.
LOL..The Coliseum is on Sheridan Road, stay on Sheridan Road to Cache Rd (N) turn left (W)..stay between Sheridan (23rd st) and about 40th (by Home Depot) I know the Neighborhood Watch Patrol....Really?!?
I was in Plano one summer staying down there working...They stole my Icechest ...and my Lunchbox ...now Who in their Right Mind would steal someones ..Lunchbox...No more trips to tx for me... ;)
Just keep your eyes open like you would anywhere else, and youll be fine...after all your coming down here for a GUN Show. Meet some of the locals and theyll direct you to the beter places.
If you havent been to Ann's Country Kichen out past Lake Lawtonka...your missing out.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe, I'm a little hard on Lawton because I lived there for 22 years of my life. I grew up there and remembered going crawdad fishing in the creek in the SW part of Lawton near 67th street and going fishing in the creekbeds near Eisenhower Jr. High School. I remember how devastated I was when the city came in and paved that creek into a concrete ditch. One of my childhood friend's family owned the farm that's right next to the Jr High school there. When I was younger, I thought I could change thing there. Many of us did.

In college, I directed a student documentary on Lawton. In many of the interviews, it was kind of shocking just how disconnected the local politicians there were. It was also revealing just how strong the local chamber of commerce actively pushed businesses away from Lawton because they felt that any outside businesses that moved in threatened their stranglehold over Lawton. Had a few of the established business owners/families who have been there for 40+ years comment off record some of the things the local government and chamber have done to royally screw new businesses or outsiders who try to do something good and bring more opportunities there. There's a reason why Lawton has more fast food restaurants and pawn shops there (used to hold the record for most fast food restaurants per capita in the world) and only just recently got their first Olive Garden. It's not due to lack of market demand or population. Lawton swaps with Norman as the third biggest city in the Oklahoma from time to time. Other businesses would flat out refuse to answer and/or cut the interview if I even mention some of these things to them. Some out of fear and others out of annoyance because they may be part of the problem.

Lawton has some real problems in terms of quality employment opportunities, city infrastructure, and vision for the future. I haven't lived in Lawton since 2004, but I see things getting worse there in terms of crime. The only Denny's restaurant closed down due to drive by shootings and beside bowling, it was one of the only places for kids to hand out at nights. If you were 18, you're choices were to get drunk at someones house, do drugs, drink coffee at denny's, bowling, or play pool and hang out at the strip club. Guess what most 18 year old boys and girls did :) Heck, I knew tons of underaged girls who stripped and some of them were even in my Sunday school class, rofl. I don't blame them, why slave for a crap job when they can make $2000 a weekend AND have the option to sign a contract with the club to either have their college tuition paid for at the Cameron University or get a boob job paid for... Flix had to close for a little while and adjust their their business hours due to multiple shootings, Gertlestone's was ********* central, filled with obnoxious and overly aggressive drunk off duty army privates looking for an excuse to punch a "local" in the face and pound their sisters/wives/GF's. Even my Dad, who's lived there since the 70's, says that Lawton is at it's worst right now and wants to move after living over 30 years there.

Every city has problems and there's worst cities than Lawton. Heck even OKC has some major issues (South side, East Side and parts of NW come to mind.) OKC has their own issues in terms of the politicians and city council. I even have some few choice words to say about the OKC Chamber of Commerce, but atleast they are actively trying to bring more businesses in and bring more money into the city. Really, I just rag on Lawton because I'm just a little bitter about the city because growing up, I loved that little hellhole... and a few of us thought we could actively promote changes. Some of us even thought about running for local city council / gov positions. Lawton had the potential to do really well.
We were probably crawdad fishin buddies...my runnin grounds from 67-75. Woodland Hills Creek alll the way to Eisenhower...South to Lee Blvd...then home before the lights came on.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if the place is still there, but there was a BBQ place called John & Cook's BBQ. They were the official caterers for the Dallas Cowboys. It's been about 8 years since I've had their BBQ. There also used to be a burger joint on Sheridan Rd called Ivan P's. Huge burgers with a bowl of beans. Sometimes you might get served a cockroach with your burger free of charge, rofl. Over by the motels on the East side of Cache Road near Ft. Sill Blvd is a late night Korean restaurant called the Junction. They're open until 4 am. It's also where the prostitutes and pimps roam. Also where the shooting happened at the suspected gang house by some soldier stationed in Ft.Sill. There's a couple of other decent Korean restaurants, but can't keep track of them anymore. That's probably the most depressing aspect of Lawton is the food. With the exception of a couple of Korean restaurants, it's all fast food and only a couple of chains. The local culture in terms of restaurants and shopping there is non-existant.

Oh, almost forgot... there's a family owned German restaurant that's pretty good there now that I remember. I knew the owner's family. Grrrr... can't remember the name for the life of me. I think it was the Bavarian House, but could be wrong.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were probably crawdad fishin buddies...my runnin grounds from 67-75. Woodland Hills Creek alll the way to Eisenhower...South to Lee Blvd...then home before the lights came on.

Rofl probably. My child hood was spent around in that area. I also lived around the 53rd Street / Glenn Ave area near Brockland Elementary. I also remember that the creek also ran south of that neighborhood (Lee West) on 67th and turned east and west running parallel just north of Lee Blvd. The creek was really wide and deep there. A bunch of the neighborhood kids got a bunch of wood and built a raft and drifted deep down the creek. The raft flipped and I was covered in muddy creek water. My mom gave me an ass whoopin that night for messing up my Sunday clothes, heheh.

I remember we would all strive to catch the biggest crawdad and later that night we would try to have crawdad fights, hehe. Never really worked out and the crawdads ended up fighting us more than each other. There were some really large lobster sized crawdads there. We would name the biggest ones we caught Mr. Ed. I don't know why, but it was a neighborhood thing, heh.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if the place is still there, but there was a BBQ place called John & Cook's BBQ. They were the official caterers for the Dallas Cowboys. It's been about 8 years since I've had their BBQ. There also used to be a burger joint on Sheridan Rd called Ivan P's. Huge burgers with a bowl of beans. Sometimes you might get served a cockroach with your burger free of charge, rofl. Over by the motels on the East side of Cache Road near Ft. Sill Blvd is a late night Korean restaurant called the Junction. They're open until 4 am. It's also where the prostitutes and pimps roam. Also where the shooting happened at the suspected gang house by some soldier stationed in Ft.Sill. There's a couple of other decent Korean restaurants, but can't keep track of them anymore. That's probably the most depressing aspect of Lawton is the food. With the exception of a couple of Korean restaurants, it's all fast food and only a couple of chains. The local culture in terms of restaurants and shopping there is non-existant.

Oh, almost forgot... there's a family owned German restaurant that's pretty good there now that I remember. I knew the owner's family. Grrrr... can't remember the name for the life of me. I think it was the Bavarian House, but could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure the Bavarian house is closed. The Junction is still there though. I love that place too. It's still the kind of out of the way place Bette Davis would call a dump. [so don't take Bette Davis, already] Just good basic food. Tons of other good Korean places in Lawton. We should have a whole thread devoted to the wonders of Lawton. It's a town like any other town. Town is pretty much for supplies. There are only a half dozen cities worth living in in this country. They are all problematic in various ways, and none of them are in Oklahoma. Give Lawton a freaking break.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mutti's (Moody's) German Restarant just moved to the old German American Club ..straight south on Sheridan past Lee on the left(E).Really Good food and German Beer if thats what you like.
Yea I remember the crawdads with the "blood claws", they were the Real Catch..LOL

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up doing all my crawdad and snake catching on wolf creek, behind Pecan Grove school. You cross over the creek around the 40th street area of Gore A class at Cameron University actually found a prehistoric dinasaur there. Lawton has been a boom town while everyone else has been suffering in todays economy. There are fancy new houses and neighborhoods everywhere. They are fixing to build a huge shopping complex with several big retailers. I never see the so-called gangbangers and don't even see graffiti anywhere, like I used to see in OKC.

M

Mach1soldier

I grew up doing all my crawdad and snake catching on wolf creek, behind Pecan Grove school. You cross over the creek around the 40th street area of Gore A class at Cameron University actually found a prehistoric dinasaur there. Lawton has been a boom town while everyone else has been suffering in todays economy. There are fancy new houses and neighborhoods everywhere. They are fixing to build a huge shopping complex with several big retailers. I never see the so-called gangbangers and don't even see graffiti anywhere, like I used to see in OKC.

Just depends on whether you are in one of those fancy neighborhoods or not. Six car break ins, One smashed window, Three busted house locks, two cut chains (trailers) and one attemped break in during the middle of the day when they know we own guns and dogs. Lawton is flipping crazy. Three people have been shot in the last year just in our neighborhood. Thankfully all perps and not homeowners.

All that to say I like Lawton and OK but I hate the flipping thieves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom