Learn how to pour a beer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out to dinner tonight with my gal. We had a few drafts before and during. The pints had no 'head' on them. We started discussing it and I told her that when I was a bartender many moons ago, we would never send a beer out like that. She said the head part was waste, I said no it wasn't. The head on a beer releases CO2 in the beer and makes it less filling so you don't bloat, plus it looks better. She was totally lost on the term 'Nickle head', meaning the height of a nickle of foam. Awh, the lost art of pouring a beer.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a tap....I don't know what happened. I do know this, alot of "craft" beers (bottle/can) contain less CO2/Nitrogen then others.

Example: Moose Drool...is a brown ale I drink but this beer has very little "fizz" almost a flat beer.

Some beers make two versions: One regular and one "Nitro".....Adding nitrogen creates a smoother, creamier beer that some might at first think of as flatter, but others consider the basis of a richer, more complex beer with silkier "mouth feel."
Others think it gives more of a draught/tap feel to the beer. Examples: Left Hand Milk Stout-Nitro and Boddinton's Beer/Ale with the "widget" of nitrogen to make it foam like a tap.

Lately the beer I've been drinking alot of has two ways to pour it. Duvel makes a beer with active yeast in it to help it age and ferment while in the bottle. Some people leave a cm of beer in the bottle to leave the yeast out of their glass and others pour all of it to taste and drink the active yeast.
I leave about 1cm in the bottle to avoid the active yeast......Mmmmmm, Duvel. **** YES- the Germans and Belgians have tradtional type of glass that they pour certain beer in ...to them...not all beer belongs in one type of glass!!**

I guess if you had a question about your beer, you should have asked the bartender.

Cheers!:sunbath:

Cohiba

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom