Legal to sell handgun to 18-21 year old--thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't if they lived at home??? I can just imagine some anti-gun mother finding it in her house and going ape-sh*t. and calling the police or the media.
While it may be legal! Are you that desperate to make the sale?
I hope its not to that flake on OSA that has like 2 posts thats trying to buy guns.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't if they lived at home??? I can just imagine some anti-gun mother finding it in her house and going ape-sh*t. and calling the police or the media.

...Imagine that conversation:

Are you under 21?

Yes.

Do you live with your parents?

Yes.

Sorry, deal's off!

Like I said...use your judgment. If he or she looks and acts like a 15 year old and is going to go knock over a liquor store, don't transact.

We can debate the merits of the law all day long but it won't change it. The OP simply asked if it was legal.

In fact, I'd wager that petersonb is a responsible 18-21 year old citizen and would like to buy a handgun.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Imagine that conversation:

Are you under 21?

Yes.

Do you live with your parents?

Yes.

Sorry, deal's off!

Like I said...use your judgment. If he or she looks and acts like a 15 year old and is going to go knock over a liquor store, don't transact.

We can debate the merits of the law all day long but it won't change it. The OP simply asked if it was legal.

In fact, I'd wager that petersonb is a responsible 18-21 year old citizen and would like to buy a handgun.

You know - I think I'm going to start asking if the person I'm selling a gun to lives with their parents regardless of age. :thumb:

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When OK first passed the CCW it was 23 to apply for the lic. I was 21 when it went into effect and had to wait until 23 to turn the paperwork in. I don't remember when or why, but the age was lowered to 21--maybe they figured te 21 year olds could be responsible?

stuart646

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some 18 year-olds that are very competent and reliable and deserving of the right to buy from whoever they choose, but how would their competence be proven? The wisdom of most 18 year-olds can be seen in the automobile crash statistics and traffic violations occurring every year versus 21 years -olds records. The numbers dont lie and I would not want to risk the impedment of my rights to give anyone that does not have competence a firearm. The first example that comes to mind are the gang members.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some 18 year-olds that are very competent and reliable and deserving of the right to buy from whoever they choose, but how would their competence be proven? The wisdom of most 18 year-olds can be seen in the automobile crash statistics and traffic violations occurring every year versus 21 years -olds records. The numbers dont lie and I would not want to risk the impedment of my rights to give anyone that does not have competence a firearm. The first example that comes to mind are the gang members.

Some 20 year olds have been shooting guns their whole lives and have had military weapons training. I think that would prove their competence.

But yes, I do agree with you that most 18 year olds are idiots, especially this day and age, and I think that they definitely should not have guns.

I think that the seller needs to be a good judge of character and observe the way the potential buyer acts and whether or not he/she uses basic gun safety rules (not waving it around and looking down the barrel etc...)

If it's legal, I suppose all that can be done is that the seller pays attention to the buyer and assesses the situation and makes a good decision whether or not to sell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom