LEO Off-Duty Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He had no sportcoat. Just a short-sleeved shirt and khakis. Frankly, he LOOKED like an LEO even without the gun. Fit the profile except he was eating in an expensive restaurant. :-) Please don't take that the wrong way.. just kidding guys! I love and greatly respect LEO's. I'm sure they are underpaid.

B

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hafta look cool and open carry while "off" duty (a real cop is never truly 10-7) to like required schools and such, until I started pocket carrying a Smith & Wesson J frame as a EDC/BUG.

Since then, I've matured a lot. I always have my sidearm with me in the car but I don't carry it in on my hip (open carry) in the classroom, unless it's firearm oriented, like qualification day or something. Just the EDC/BUG in the pocket. I feel like cops who think they need to open carry are just kinda showing off. :rolleyes2

I like it when ya'll carry openly to classes we host. Certain coworkers don't, though. But I like seeing the deterrent of 15-18 loaded firearms in a statutory free-kill zone.

popo103

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it when ya'll carry openly to classes we host. Certain coworkers don't, though. But I like seeing the deterrent of 15-18 loaded firearms in a statutory free-kill zone.

LOL Veggie, one good thing is that area of the building is secure and definately ready & willing for an active shooter.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loose cut blazer solves most of those issues. When I was an LEO in Georgia we had lots of young ones out looking cool. Of course it didn't take to long before some found their way to a supervisors office because of it. We had one idiot in our department who would wear our issue T-shirt that had the badge monogramed on the front, and Sheriff on the back, with out a weapon. You just can't teach stupid!!

In our county, we are considered to be on call 24/7. We are required to carry at all times(exept church). The standing rule in the department is if you are carrying open, you'd better have your badge visible and your id on your person. If you are carrying concealed it will be well concealed, but you don't have to carry your badge. We are required to carry propper id at all times unless you're covert.If you are in uniform (Class "A", or BDU), you are required to carry your issue side arm and backup of the same caliber, and body armour at all times exept during water/boating rescue/assignments.
Any violation of these rules will result in immediate termination. In the past three years the Sheriff has fired 6 for no body armour while on duty. As much as I like and respect our Sheriff, he doesn't put up w/any bullsh**. He expects our trucks/trailers to be clean, our tack polished, and our horses to be well groomed and shod, even when we are working in the mountains where no one sees us.
By the way, Hey Mr. Leighton,
How is everthing? Hope you and your family are doing well.
God Bless

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I worked at one of those facilities in OKC, I had OHP in for classes several times. I took great pleasure in the building director (flaming lib feminist) getting her shorts in knot over OC by the troopers in 5.11s and polo shirts w/badges. It also kept the baby mamas and daddies on better behavior.

Latest posts

Top Bottom