Les baer 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 Baers and still have a Hillsdale built TRS.
In my opinion, Baers are built way tighter than they should be/need to be, but yet, every one I’ve had has run like a Singer sewing machine which is a mystery to me. :anyone:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a TRS, one of the better built guns for the money if you're in the semi-custom world. Will try to post up some pics when it gets sunny.

I had 2 Baer Thunder Ranch guns in the very early 2000s...got the first in 2001, I think it was. Gorgeous gun. But it wouldn't work. It went back to Baer 3 times. They finally replaced it. #2 didn't work well, either, but it was better than the first. Same problem with both...slide would lock up and it took a whack (or two) with a rubber mallet to break the action open. They finally determined the frame on the first was out of spec somehow. Second one was finally loosening up a bit after about 500 rounds but would consistently fail to eject. I was SO disappointed because I'd shot a friend's at the PD where I worked and loved it. Sold the second one and replaced it with a Springfield Professional. Couldn't make that gun fail. Like an idiot I sold that one eventually for something else.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm down to three 45 ACP stainless 5" 1911's (Ruger Sr1911, SA Mil-Spec and a S & W 'E' Series) which I really like shooting but then I've never got to handle or fire a Les Baer or Wilson Combat but everything I've read about them tells me that they are excellent guns.

The one higher end 1911 that I did have the opportunity to fondle was a Nighthawk and it was a beautiful gun and smooth as silk.......if I was going to add a custom / higher end 1911 to my collection it would be a Nighthawk simply because I got to handle one and felt how smooth it was.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 Baer Thunder Ranch guns in the very early 2000s...got the first in 2001, I think it was. Gorgeous gun. But it wouldn't work. It went back to Baer 3 times. They finally replaced it. #2 didn't work well, either, but it was better than the first. Same problem with both...slide would lock up and it took a whack (or two) with a rubber mallet to break the action open. They finally determined the frame on the first was out of spec somehow. Second one was finally loosening up a bit after about 500 rounds but would consistently fail to eject. I was SO disappointed because I'd shot a friend's at the PD where I worked and loved it. Sold the second one and replaced it with a Springfield Professional. Couldn't make that gun fail. Like an idiot I sold that one eventually for something else.

The older professionals with the Nowlin barrels were damn fine guns. They eventually switched over to MIM parts and got away from Nowlin barrels. Mistake IMO...... since they are now $3500. They upped the price and went cheap on parts.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The older professionals with the Nowlin barrels were damn fine guns. They eventually switched over to MIM parts and got away from Nowlin barrels. Mistake IMO...... since they are now $3500. They upped the price and went cheap on parts.
I’m sure priced have gone up in the last couple years, but I had a 1911 built to my specs on a Colt base gun using top shelf parts for under $3500.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt built a Gunsite pistol for a few years during the 2000s. It's one of my bucket list guns...in blue.

I have a Colt Special Combat Government Carry model. It may not be as refined as a Baer, Brown, WC or Nighthawk...but I'm betting it shoots as well. I also have a new model Professional in 9mm that's a pretty awesome gun.

I had an Ed Brown "Special Forces" model for a while. Very plain Jane in the looks department but fantastic workmanship. I actually ordered that one into my shop but "borrowed" it for a while and sold it used for pretty much what I would've got had I sold it new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom