Lightest bullet you killed a deer with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aint It No Way GIF by UFC

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never known a deer that moved slow enough to soak up 7 non fatal shots. Although whatever… stranger things have happened I suppose.

I remember the magna guy kinda calling BS on one of swamprats stories in the gearheads section a while back. Honestly the story was a bit hard to believe lol… I bet both magna and swamprat are good guys though so let’s let things go and move along, shall we

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best part of the day, I WISH I would have seen.

After finally putting the doe down, he gets his 3-wheeler, Honda 110. May as well have been a tricycle. Beats walking, but too small for comfort.

I see him struggling and make my way over. He is trying to get the doe and then himself on the 3-wheeler. I get there and he is sitting on trike, a boot lace in his hand and the doe on the ground. He asks me to lay the doe across the back and hold it there. He grabs the doe by the front legs. Ties them with his boot laces. Pulls the back legs around his waist and hog ties them to front legs. Satisfied, he takes off to camp, mile and a half away.

I return to my stand. About an hour and I hear his 3-wheeler returning. He rides past his stand and comes to mine. As he gets close, I can see he is covered in mud.

He was riding along, everything fine. About half way to camp, a mud hole in the middle of the trail. He hits the mudhole (10" deep, liquefied mud, no standing water). His front wheel slides and he goes full throttle. The deer head, laying on his lap, slips off and flops. Nose dragging the mud, catches under back wheel and pulls deer under. Yanking him sideways, face first into mud.

He ended up cutting the laces, to get loose from the deer. Drags the deer to camp, with no laces in boots. Takes sheet off his bed and wraps doe up, throws doe in bed of pickup. Walks back to mud hole, finally gets 3-wheeler out of mud and here he is.

I can't breath. Like I said, you got know him. Can't make this stuff up. Not over yet, the best is 5 days away.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rest of the story ...... if your interested.

We hunted Saturday and Sunday, uneventful.

Thursday night, almost 10:00, phone rings.

It's him, "hey, what's your deer sausage recipe."
I tell him and he says, "I gotta go to Wal-Mart, I don't have everything."

Me. "You're making deer sausage?"

Him. "Yeah, I just remembered I had that old doe in the bed of my truck. I will talk to you later."

Son is headed to deer camp. Told him, "I don't what you say, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU EAT ANY DEER MEAT or SAUSAGE that he offers you."

Monday eve, 7:00, phone rings, "why the hell did you give wrong recipe? My sausage don't taste as good as yours."

Me. "I did leave out 1 thing. DONT USE DEER THAT HAS BEEN IN YOUR TRUCK FOR A WEEK UNCLEANED! FIELD DRESS, SKIN, CUT UP, PUT ON ICE IMMEDIATELY!"

Him. "Do you REALLY think that made a difference?"

Love him like a brother, we have hunted, fished together for 45 years, but I have limits.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in time,,,
I (as a nine year old),,,
Shot a deer at about 12 feet from my bedroom window.

I called my brother-in-law first,,,
To see if he would help me process the thing.

One .22 LR (unknown brand) to the side of the head,,,
We ate well for a month from that kill.

I wouldn't do it now,,,
In fact I quit hunting years ago.
But times were hard back in the late 50's,,,
We took the opportunity for meat wherever we could.

Aarond

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom