Linksys routers any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it happens I am not able to access the router using it's IP address and if I try o get on with my tablet it says can't get an IP or something like that. A reset fixes it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Linksys has changed hands numerous times over the years. At one point I would imagine WR54 series routers had 25% of the market. That is what they reset to fix the internet in Southpark. Entry level routers are all about the same, kinda of a crap shoot. Some work great some suck. Personally I have had more issues with Tp-link than anything so I would avoid them at all costs. I would suggest Asus or Netgear both make a solid product in most price ranges. The more your spend the more feature rich it will be. If your willing to spend the coin mesh is the way to go.

All that said are your sure its your router hanging up? When internet stops are you able to get to its access page and log into it? Or what is your symptom that is making you want to reset the router so frequently?
Whenever we go to Broken Arrow we get routed to the 5G service. Good Lord that sucks. What's up with that?

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever we go to Broken Arrow we get routed to the 5G service. Good Lord that sucks. What's up with that?
Depends on provider but the main thing currently with 5g is to make the little icon turn on. That is the race that carriers are in. There are a couple different types of 5g. SA - Stand Alone or NSA non-stand alone the NSA being what everyone in the USA other than Tmobile is using currently with most planing to go SA in the future. The stand alone will use all 5g core and infrastructure but the standards for it were put out well after 5g radio signaling and radio standards. So that means you have to have 4g core to make 5g work. LTE-A is where the real speed it at for most folks currently because there is lots of frequency. Heck even Verizon had commercials about their 4g being faster than Tmobile 5g in the last year. This is because most 5g still has a small bandwidth footprint. Meaning a tower may only have 5-10mb of low band spectrum for 5g but they could have 20-50mb of 4g LTE. Also this is important because with NSA 5g you can't make calls on it. 4g you can use VOLTE or Voice over LTE. Anyway simply put nice phones make multiple connections to a tower and have multiple sessions across frequencies. If you only have a small amount of one frequency dedicated to 5g its like driving a race car on a two lane city street with timed stop lights. Where as LTE-A is a 16 lane highway and you have a 2020 Camero that you can open up. Depending on your device you should also be able to disable 5g if you want for now. If its an android it will be similar to this. https://www.androidcentral.com/how-disable-5g-samsung-galaxy-s20

Apple https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-disable-5g-on-the-iphone-12/

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently had a new home built and the “network guy” that set up our wi-fi network and home theater systems steered me toward a ubiquity unifi system. It’s been amazing so far (6 months). Good range and seamless switching between nodes on either side of the house. The system has the capacity to support 20 security cameras if I remember correctly, but I haven’t gone down that road yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ubiquiti makes good stuff, a lot of it is pro-grade equipment at consumer-grade prices. I have a lot of their stuff installed at work, though none of their WiFi equipment. If you know what you're doing, you can get a heck of a lot of bang for your buck from them.

What I would recommend for most people (and what I put in my house) is Eero. There's quite a bit of configurability in the Eeros if you want to pursue that, but there's not much required. Plus Eero keeps up with firmware updates, unlike some vendors, so you're not stuck with long-term security vulnerabilities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom