What Router?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Coded-Dude.

I've been out of the IT loop for over 10 years, but back in the day Cisco was the king on speed, security AND reliability. From what I can tell the Surfboards modems are good. But according to the Cox compatibility page the 6121 is only good up to the "Preferred" speed tier. That just has to be a misprint or be something up with Cox's service because the specs on the modem clearly go past that. Bump up to the 6141 and you can do all the speed that Cox offers. The Cisco DCP3010 goes all the way as it is. This kind of weirdness is why I don't do IT anymore.

It's a function of the number of channels times the channel width. The 6121 can only run four channels while the 6141 can do 8.
The bandwidth of a channel is a factor. Other existing services can mean less bandwidth for data channels.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The decision for me to pull the trigger on a third party modem was simple. Reading reviews of people who leased first.....they noticed faster speeds on purchased third party modems rather than leased modems(maybe COX is installing custom firmware or something similar, but that is pure speculation). Either way, if you plan to keep your service for more than a year, it makes sense to buy a decent modem rather than lease one(at around $5/mo, a $50 modem will pay for itself in the first 10 months). YMMV I'll have to check the bill to see what service I actually have, but if I do have "Preferred," I am still getting 10Mbps faster than what they are offering(50Mbps). I'm sure the speeds change during peak hours, but I still have enough bandwidth to VPN into a CA server and get my work done on a remote virtual machine. Nver really tried doing hourly speed tests to see what I am getting on a regular basis.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a function of the number of channels times the channel width. The 6121 can only run four channels while the 6141 can do 8.
The bandwidth of a channel is a factor. Other existing services can mean less bandwidth for data channels.

I guess I can see that. Though Motorola claims up to 172mbps on those 4 channels, who knows what Cox has going on?

The decision for me to pull the trigger on a third party modem was simple. Reading reviews of people who leased first.....they noticed faster speeds on purchased third party modems rather than leased modems(maybe COX is installing custom firmware or something similar, but that is pure speculation). Either way, if you plan to keep your service for more than a year, it makes sense to buy a decent modem rather than lease one(at around $5/mo, a $50 modem will pay for itself in the first 10 months). YMMV I'll have to check the bill to see what service I actually have, but if I do have "Preferred," I am still getting 10Mbps faster than what they are offering(50Mbps). I'm sure the speeds change during peak hours, but I still have enough bandwidth to VPN into a CA server and get my work done on a remote virtual machine. Nver really tried doing hourly speed tests to see what I am getting on a regular basis.

I have to pay $7 for the ATT modem. I guess it's not bad since it's a DSL modem and wireless router built into one. But I'll buy my own if I go to Cox, I just want to get something that's as trouble free as possible and it's about as clear as mud. I'll probably get the 6121 and the TP-Link router, it's less than $20 on Amazon Prime, it's their #1 best seller, and it has 4 ethernet ports so it'll work just like what I have now. I can get both for $84.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several failures in the last couple of years with Asus products. A couple of wireless units, a motherboard and an optical drive. Asus was always my first choice, but now I pass right on by the Asus product offerings. I'd like to find a good wireless unit that will accept open source code.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several failures in the last couple of years with Asus products. A couple of wireless units, a motherboard and an optical drive. Asus was always my first choice, but now I pass right on by the Asus product offerings. I'd like to find a good wireless unit that will accept open source code.

Sorry to hear that. I have the Asus RT-AC68U, had it for about a year or so...not one issue. Of course I came from a WRT54GS with open source firmware...held up good, but the last year or so of its life, spent with interruptions and disconnects.

Latest posts

Top Bottom