What Router?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ill put a vote in for the ubiquit stuff too. Routerboard is good too but there is a learning curve if you are only used to consumer routers. personally i run a zyxel usg20 in front of a bridged airport extreme and two airport express's

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ubiquiti, EnGenius, Senao, all great gear.

I've even had good luck with TP-LINK stuff, and it was even POE for the price of a similar Linksys AP.

I've been looking into TP-Link and like what I have seen so far, price is sure reasionable and what reviews I could find were not too bad. Thinking about switching both existing LinkSys over and adding an access point set up as a repeater (found video on YouTube from Buy.com on how to do it) to extend the range of my wireless network. At the price of TP-Link stuff I could do it all for less than the price of a Ubiquit router. Could keep the working LinkSys stuff now in service for back up.

Decisions.... decisions.....

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna tag into this thread for my question. I have a wrt54g that I got back in 05-06 I think he has ran his life span out (fluctuating wireless speeds) what's one in the $50-100 range that would be a good replacement. I do need one with at least 4 ports in the back

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna tag into this thread for my question. I have a wrt54g that I got back in 05-06 I think he has ran his life span out (fluctuating wireless speeds) what's one in the $50-100 range that would be a good replacement. I do need one with at least 4 ports in the back

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-dual-band-wireless-n-gigabit-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/6639292.p?id=1218768195065&skuId=6639292&ref=25&loc=SHP&srccode=cii_45538312&cpncode=34-249124282-2

You need this one. pay the extra and be happy.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping this up. Thinking of dumping Uverse internet and going to Cox. I'm just sick of the variable service speeds (though they do work for my needs) and painfully slow uploads. They gave me a free 6 month upgrade to 18 down which ran out today. Yesterday I switched it back to what I had 6 months ago so I don't get dinged for the bill. Before I did I ran a bunch of speed tests and was only getting 8 to 10 down. Today after the switch back I'm getting 13 to 15 down and it's supposed to be 12 max. :screwy:

What modem and router combo is the way to go with Cox? Motorola or Cisco? Something else? I'll be buying my own.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Motorola SURFboard SB6121 modem(saves on the bill long term; no lease fee for modem/equipment) and a Buffalo Airstation WZR-1166DHP Router, both purchased from Amazon. Haven't had any issues yet. I believe I have business internet though(company pays for internet since I work from home, but I bought the hardware). Currently pulling 61Mbps down and pushing 7Mbps up on COX in NW OKC. Just ran teh test from speakeasy - http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Coded-Dude.

I've been out of the IT loop for over 10 years, but back in the day Cisco was the king on speed, security AND reliability. From what I can tell the Surfboards modems are good. But according to the Cox compatibility page the 6121 is only good up to the "Preferred" speed tier. That just has to be a misprint or be something up with Cox's service because the specs on the modem clearly go past that. Bump up to the 6141 and you can do all the speed that Cox offers. The Cisco DCP3010 goes all the way as it is. This kind of weirdness is why I don't do IT anymore.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the modem for a year, so it is most likely dated(I know that model had been out for a bit when I bought it). I may upgrade eventually, but as you can see I am getting good speeds from it. I was a bigger proponent of Cisco back in the day, but since the merger with Linksys I have tried to refrain from their consumer grade products(had a few issues with Linksys in the past), but their commercial stuff is still one of the best(also a fan of HP/Procurve, but I worked for them for a while...so I am biased a bit and haven't used any of their commercial stuff since the merger with 3Comm).

As long as you are compliant(with your modem) you shouldn't have too many issues. What I did was thoroughly search the reviews of modems on Amazon for the ISP(Ctrl+F "Cox"). There were more positive reviews of the modem than negative, so I went with it. Of course I would certainly recommend something newer than what I have....just posting what I have and how I like it(no problems yet).

The router choice will really come down to preference, as they all work and should do the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom