What Router?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am on Point-to-Point wireless with Atlas OK out of Owasso. I have been using LinkSys BEFSR81 wired routers for my main access point and peer-to-peer network with a LinkSys wireless tied in on a different subnet so guests can access the internet from laptops etc. I say routers because I have went through 3 of the BEFSR81's and just had to change to another one.

When the first LinkSys died I bought a Net Gear locally because that is all I could find. For some reason was not able to get it working so I bought 2 more BEFSR81's off eBay. Managed to fix the original BEFSR81's but it eventually died again. The first eBay LinkSys just died and now running on my last good LinkSys.

In the market for an 8 port wired router and wondering what brand or model may be more reliable than the LinkSys or maybe a new model LinkSys will not die after a couple years in service like mine have. Any recommendations?

Thanks....

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to be pretty hard on those things. How about trying something a little more enterprise-class?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dells...l_id=powerconnect-2808&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Ya, I guess except it just plugs in and not sure how I could be less hard on it. The first failure was a 5 volt regulator, easy to trouble shoot and fix. 2nd time it became very intermittent connecting to the internet and didn't even try to fix it. 2nd router had the same issue with connecting but different symptoms, again didn't try to fix it just stuck my spare in which solved the problem.

Thanks for trying but unless I missed something the link you provided is to a switch (hub) not a router. I'm just wondering what everyone is using these days that is reliable and will last for a few years, preferably forever.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't mention a budget, what are your limits there? It might not be a bad idea to get a 4 port router and a separate switch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom