Live Catch Traps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cats could care less about camo and covering the trap, except for the bottom needing to be covered. Notice in the cougar pic, the trapper backed his trap, and made the cat approach from the side that the cat needed to be on. It's all about what's in the back of the trap for cats. Top pic was just out in the middle of a pasture above a pond...........but far enough away that the coons couldn't see it. Second pic was along a fence near railroad tracks.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_70467_.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_78455_.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cats could care less about camo and covering the trap, except for the bottom needing to be covered. Notice in the cougar pic, the trapper backed his trap, and made the cat approach from the side that the cat needed to be on. It's all about what's in the back of the trap for cats. Top pic was just out in the middle of a pasture above a pond...........but far enough away that the coons couldn't see it. Second pic was along a fence near railroad tracks.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_70467_.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_78455_.jpg

How long did it take for you to catch those two cats? And how long is that big slab of meat I have tied to the back of the cage good for? Is it still viable after it goes rancid?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How long did it take for you to catch those two cats? And how long is that big slab of meat I have tied to the back of the cage good for? Is it still viable after it goes rancid?

I can't remember for sure, they all run together after a while. Sometimes you'll catch a cat on the first night, sometimes it takes a week or two. And just because they walk up to the trap, doesn't always mean they'll walk in the first time :) IIRC, the bottom pic, it had been there for a couple of weeks and I was going to pull it that day, and ended up with a last day surprise.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has rained all day. A light drizzle. But since I can't do other chores outside, I have been fooling around with my new hobby. I have visited sites dedicated to trapping, and concentrated on the capture of coyotes using this device. Overall, it is discouraged because of a low success rate. However, one in about every 12 posts contains a successful mention of its use. What some of the successful users of the device say is that they make it appear as a den. I have really enjoyed myself today while messing around with this trap. I've begun weaving cedar branches between the wire of the cage to make the inside look more convivial. If the rain lets up, I'll finish that job and it won't be recognizable as a cage from the interior. I'll go out there and replace the plastic bowl with a low profile, dark pan.

i.imgur.com_YPcS6QH.jpg

i.imgur.com_mL4TgeP.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not familiar with all the bait piles leading up to the trap. Seems that a critter might get some food in his belly and move on before getting to the "den".

In my experience I have found that a lot of animals, esp domestic dogs and other creatures of opportunity, can be greedy. Even if they are full, they will still do their best to alway all the food available even if it makes them sick. Think of how greedy some of your house dogs may be.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Success. Last post on this thread. Things to bear in mind if you wish to study dangerous species. Don't do it at night, unless you are fully dressed with boots on.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience I have found that a lot of animals, esp domestic dogs and other creatures of opportunity, can be greedy. Even if they are full, they will still do their best to alway all the food available even if it makes them sick. Think of how greedy some of your house dogs may be.
I don't do dogs in the house. My lab won't over eat, no matter how much food I put out.

I once seen a litter of weaned puppies that literally tore into a 50# sack of dog food (late 80s or early 90s when dog food was still 50#). They ate until every puppy looked like they had swallowed a watermelon whole. They tried to walk back home, a few houses away, and most stopped to vomit and then eat the food again. I can see what you are saying, it is possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom