Live Catch Traps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is not the dominate dog, it shouldn't scare the others off. However, keep in mind, you want the dog to enter the trap, not walk up to the outside and piss on it. I do think it will be counter productive as far as getting a dog to enter the trap, rather than just piss on the outside and move on.

All of this is interesting. I've never trapped before, and 45 minutes ago I thought it would be a good idea to start setting bait in the near proximity of where the cage will be. So I took a large scoop of dry dog food and poured it on the driveway at the gate. Every bit of it is gone now. This was the big, dry chunk type dog food. Birds could not have eaten it. I wonder, what type of carnivore so quickly came to take the bait? Perhaps I will find out the very first day I deploy the unit.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never trapped anything larger than a skunk but have the skunk thing down good. Use sugar donuts, the little white ones with the powdered sugar coating. Cats will normally ignore them but skunks love the things.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Almost anything will come check out the urine.......take advantage of the tummy and appetite in this case though. Back the cage up to a tree or something so it can't approach from the rear. Also, stake it down so it can't be rolled over should a black panther put its paws up on the side and investigate.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of this is interesting. I've never trapped before, and 45 minutes ago I thought it would be a good idea to start setting bait in the near proximity of where the cage will be. So I took a large scoop of dry dog food and poured it on the driveway at the gate. Every bit of it is gone now. This was the big, dry chunk type dog food. Birds could not have eaten it. I wonder, what type of carnivore so quickly came to take the bait? Perhaps I will find out the very first day I deploy the unit.

I wouldn't be 100% sure it wasn't birds. It might have just been bigger birds.

Of course, it could also be the canines in question, or a skunk, possum, or raccoon (all of whom LOVE dog and cat food).

Just check the trap regularly. If it's big enough to catch a coyote, it's big enough to catch a domestic dog that you don't actually want to trap.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost anything will come check out the urine.......take advantage of the tummy and appetite in this case though. Back the cage up to a tree or something so it can't approach from the rear. Also, stake it down so it can't be rolled over should a black panther put its paws up on the side and investigate.

I can tell you use this device often. I never would have thought of placing the back to a tree.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's like that with any trap, cage or steel......make the walk or step where you want them to........keep them from walking where you don't want them to :)

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's like that with any trap, cage or steel......make the walk or step where you want them to........keep them from walking where you don't want them to :)

Now, I want to study the large, predator type species, but it's possible that unwanteds may set the trap off. What if I capture skunks? The rear door can be raised by virtue of a string or a line. Will the skunk still "detonate?" That was another reason I asked about the dog urine - I was hoping it would potentially keep skunks away.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... I'm wondering if you installed said trap on a trailer,,,,,, the removal and "release" of any large predatory mammals would be a lot easier, in a far off remote area that wouldn't have residents investigating a pistol shot or two.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... I'm wondering if you installed said trap on a trailer,,,,,, the removal and "release" of any large predatory mammals would be a lot easier, in a far off remote area that wouldn't have residents investigating a pistol shot or two.

I have a large, industrial dolly. But the cage is huge and may not fit. If it does, I will try to affix it to the dolly. If not, I may get one of those large wagons from Tractor Supply that people use in their heavy gardening applications. But I mean to have it set directly on the ground until a capture is attained. I want to make it look natural, with tree branches around it.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Set up a game camera!

Latest posts

Top Bottom