Loading questions for Mini 14

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here load for the Mini 14 223? Just picked one up in a trade yesterday, and went and shot it some this morning with some factory ammo that came with it. Just wondering if there are any differences I need to know between this and loading rifle loads for bolt guns-like using small base dies, if running softpoints versus FMJ's are going to hurt the functioning, more careful with OAL, etc? Have loaded a few 223's before but mainly for a single shot and a few for the AR I used to have. Thanks for any tips/tricks/advice!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Load it just like you would for an AR. The load specs in the manual will be for .223. A full length sizeing die makes life easier too.

Last edited:

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the same full-length sizing dies for my Mini that I use for my bolt rifle. One thing you might want to check out is the series or manufacture date of your used mini (mine was used also) to determine the rate of twist. It will make a difference in the bullet weight your rifle will stabilize.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had to use small base dies for any of my semi auto rifles. My mini digests the same ammo as my AR and will handle steel case ammo that clogs up the ar completely. Same with my mini-30

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I started this thread, I've ran maybe 30-50 "test" rounds with "old" primers, several headstamp's of brass, and two different bullets, all loaded with a set of plain Lee dies without a glitch...really digging this rifle, and I really never thought I'd say that about a semiauto 223! It may not be as "good" as an AR in some aspects, but I already prefer messing with it versus the AR I used to have!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I take it all the rounds shoot well.
All my rifle dies are Lee and I like them just fine.

Did you learn anything during the loading process?
Did you find a load that is better than most of them?

And welcome to the addiction!!!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swampratt, I really haven't put this gun on "paper" so to speak yet, just been shooting it offhand messing around with it some...I did shoot this target with some of the PMC factory loads right after I got it though, put 19/20 in the circles offhand at around 100 yards...for the reason I decided to keep it after trading for it, this works for me ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom