long gone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Early 1970s OTASCO in Fairfax OK was the scene for my first firearms purchase - a 20ga. Winchester 1400 auto shotgun. My FIL bought both of us a Marlin 336 in .30-30 at the N. MacArthur Gibson's in OKC so we could deer hunt together back in the 80s. I can't recall making a purchase at Mashburn's but certainly went in there often enough. My Ruger .22/45 was purchased at SW Shooters for my daughter and I to have shooting outings back when she was a teen.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember buying a ton of 22 ammo at the local TG&Y.
Prices was good, but mostly because it was less than a mile from our place.
Anytime we weren't doing our chores we were out rabbit and squirrel hunting.
Spent many a days sitting on the pond shooting frogs also.

sky king

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a treasure! I'm assuming you still have the box the pre-37 came in? I'm a little surprised that ammo was $5 a box. In relation to the price of the gun, that was a little expensive.

I don't have the box, which is surprising because dad kept the boxes on stuff like shavers and tools and such. I'll have to look at that receipt to verify the price on the ammo. Yeah, the gun is a treasure. We still have a partial box of ammo that I think is the box on the receipt. I don't think the gun has had a full box run through it.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to walk or ride my bike to the Otasco at NW 50th and May, and dream of owning one of those black powder kits.

I bought ammo from Southwest Shooters, but never any guns.

I only went to Mashburn once (right next to Melvin Tyler grips) on Eastern. They had a new Mini 14 for about twice what I had just paid for a factory folder Mini 14. That old man told me mine was junk (without ever seeing it), but he'd go ahead and take it on trade for next to nothing for his rifle, which was extra special. That was the last time I went there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bartlesville had both Otasco and Gibsons, dad was loyal to Otasco. I bought by first shotgun, 12g ss in there, think it was around 60$. I still have by dads CVA kit .50 cal percussion muzzleloader, serial #00010.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had a worn out 22 chamber cut off the barrel set back & rechambered at andy andersons , I think it cost $2.00 . i think they were just being nice to a farm kid, the chamber was so big it was like what happens when u shoot a long rifle in a 22mag

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little town where I went to high school had both Western Auto and Otasco stores. In high school (mid 60's) Otasco was my ammo headquarters - they sold Canuck shotgun shells and and Imperial .22 shells pretty cheap. I have two boxes of Imperial .22 Long shells sitting on top of my gun cabinet.

Cedar Creek

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I used to walk or ride my bike to the Otasco at NW 50th and May, and dream of owning one of those black powder kits.

I bought ammo from Southwest Shooters, but never any guns.

I only went to Mashburn once (right next to Melvin Tyler grips) on Eastern. They had a new Mini 14 for about twice what I had just paid for a factory folder Mini 14. That old man told me mine was junk (without ever seeing it), but he'd go ahead and take it on trade for next to nothing for his rifle, which was extra special. That was the last time I went there.

yep,i went in there around 91-92 if i remember. my question to the old man was "how can you tell the difference between a pressed in or threaded barrel on an sks" his response was " i'm not gonna tell you then have you go buy a gun someplace else". my response was " see ya". never went back.

bought my goose ammo from southwest shooters. when the gooberment made us fling steel balls at em they were the only place thst had remington nitro steel,some of the hardest hitting in the day.
how about Jumbo sports at may and britton. they had a decent gun counter and the best hu nting supplies at the time. bought my ruger mkII deer gun there.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gibson's Discount Center in Lawton was where I saw my first ever in the flesh HK P7 ($599 at the time), and the only Browning Hi Power GP Competition model (right at $1000, IIRC) I've ever seen with my own eyes. I can remember when you could go in there with $400 in hand and walk out with a brand new Ruger Mini 14, and still have just a bit of jingle in your pocket.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 20 ga Rem lite that I bought 3 years ago, that was NIB, and still had the TG&Y tags hanging from the trigger guard. Guy bought it, trashed a knee the next day, and never went to the field again. I had a post on it it back when on here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom