Long Range Hunting Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyCowboy15

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been thinking of purchasing a long range hunting rifle. I am just looking for your opinion on a few things that I am thinking about. I am looking to go on an Elk Hunt and Moose Hunt next year and I would like this gun to be ready for those hunts. I am looking for a rifle that will have the knockdown power at 1K - 1.2K yds. So here it goes.....

Option 1. GA Precision Hospitaller... 300 Win Mag... Jewell Trigger.

Option 2. A custom build of a 6.5-284 Norma... Shillen barrel on a Rem 700 Action, McMillian Stock.

Both of the options will have a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 optics and bi-pod.

I am leaning towards option 1 due to easier to get match ammo for it. I just wanted your opinion on this. thank you

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Both seem heavy for hunting rigs but I’d go with 300wm over the 6.5 every time, especially since you mention buying match ammo. Check out the Hornady ELD-X 200gr for ur 300

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I'd recommend a 30.06.

Ammo is readily available (125gr to 200gr+), and ya can't ask for a more proven track record. And yes, I have one (my 2nd) - bought my first when I was 16 (I'm at 6 decades now). ;)

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'd recommend a 30.06.

Ammo is readily available (125gr to 200gr+), and ya can't ask for a more proven track record. And yes, I have one (my 2nd) - bought my first when I was 16 (I'm at 6 decades now). ;)

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
I've killed a lot of elk with a 30-06 out to over 400 yds.
Great round with the Barnes 165 grain TTSX.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to wag a 20-22 pound rifle plus spotting scope, binoculars, tripod, range finder, etc. in the mountains after elk? How big ole boy are you? Take it from someone who has a GA Precision built rifle with the same barrel they use on the Hospitaller, except it's 26"........you won't like it.

Have GA Precision build you one of their Xtreme Hunters in 6.5 GAP 4s. It's based off a 7mm RSAUM except its necked down to 6.5mm. Hornady makes brass for it and you can buy match grade hunting ammo built for it here, http://coppercreekammo.com/product/65saum-143eldx/

If you build it with a barrel length of 26" you'll get a muzzle velocity of approximately 3,100 fps. People will try to tell you a 143gr bullet is too small for elk and moose but plenty have been taken with a 6.5x284 at long distance.

Shooting this caliber will also allow you to be a more proficient shooter due to its reduced recoil when compared to a 300wm. Add a muzzle break to it and it will be a pleasure to shoot with very little recoil.

I know George the owner of GA Precision took an antelope with one at around 1,300 yards.

Whatever you have built research the barrel contour and the weight before you decide on a specific barrel.

If your dead set on a 300wm have GAP build you one based on their Non Typical with a muzzle break. It will be easier on the wallet, easier to carry, and just as accurate.

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 375 CheyTac from Hill Country Rilfes for this. At 1000 yards it has the energy of a 300 Win mag at the muzzle.

The 6.5x284 listed above will have 1017 ft.lbs of energy at 1000 yards and 784 ft.lbs of energy at 1200 yards. Not exactly what I want to shoot an elk or moose with.

Last edited:

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bet its impressive! its all in however much a person wants to spend. I shoot a .300 RUM and an 8mm Remington magnum but not at anything more than 400 yards. I don't have the skill for shots over that

ChevyCowboy15

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. I have been saving up for a couple years to have a solid 1k yd rifle. I understand the weight issue with reference of packing it around. My heart is set on the 300WM but my head tells me to go for the less recoil of the 6.5. So I still have some research to do but i want to let you know I appreciate the advise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom