Looking for a .308 semi auto...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a semi auto rifle in .308. It's more for a little range but can/would be carried on duty. With that reasoning needs to shorter and handy in/out of a patrol car. Looking at red dot type optics to mount and some type of illumination. Wanting a heavier round to reach out. I have a a .308 bolt in form of a Kimber LPT. Now I'm wantin to round out my options.

Leaning towards a SOCOM type or a AR type (make is unknown at this point). Money is bugeted but a decent limit for good quality. I have 3 ARs and like them so that's part of the reason I'm even conflicted about this. Similar controls and training and such.

Most folks on here can be articulate and provide good valid points for both pro and con areas. Let know what's the thoughts.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably go with an AR-10 type rifle since you are getting in and out of a patrol car but if you carried it in the trunk of a crown vic you could easily carry a full size M1A

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a budget (especially for patrol car) I would get Saiga - simple, reliable and in 100-200 yard situation I don't think theoretical accuracy inferiority will really matter.

Unlimited budget - I second on FAL :)

joeman3519

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a budget you can't go wrong with a DPMS AP4. It's basically a M4 but in 308 and under $1000. It will match your existing controls on your ARs and it has excellent accuracy. If you can save up some more money I would go with a Fulton Armory Titan 308 and go with the Lite model. Also both these models use the SR25 style of magazine and Magpul makes a version of this that is cheap and reliable.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a budget (especially for patrol car) I would get Saiga - simple, reliable and in 100-200 yard situation I don't think theoretical accuracy inferiority will really matter.

Unlimited budget - I second on FAL :)

Theoretical accuracy inferiority?? I didn't know that there were any Saiga's shooting better than 2 MOA and most worse than that.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theoretical accuracy inferiority?? I didn't know that there were any Saiga's shooting better than 2 MOA and most worse than that.

True, but most red dots cover 4-5 MOA, hence theoretical inferiority only.

You are also implying that 2 MOA is somehow "not good" - only few select rifles will shoot an honest 10 round group better than that with factory ammo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/practical_accuracy.htm

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a SOCOM and really like it but decided to get rid of it when I caught myself looking at stock options, etc that would make it in essance a an AR look. Give the AP4 a look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom