Looking for CCW Training in Grove OK Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just returned to OK for retirement and need to get Oklahoma CCW permit. Have carried for years in Colorado. I prefer classes that are heavy on gun work, rather than lecture. I taught classes in CO for CCW permits and did the entire class on the range with short breaks in shooting for lecture and teaching points. Makes for a better class and I could always determine shooting and safety level of each student. Can't shoot and handle gun safely, didn't get class certificate.

Any suggestions or recommendation for OK CCW classes in Grove area?

Much obliged.

Zephyr...

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are going to be very disappointed in your upcoming experience with the SDA (Self-Defense Act) training, given your experience and expectations. With only a 50 round shooting requirement, no work from the holster, any hit on the paper is good as long as there are no safety violations -- that doesn't add up to "heavy on gun work" to me...YMMV. IMO, the most valuable part of the class is the the instruction on the law in the classroom.

Here's a link to the SDA handbook if you don't already have it: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

ETA: sorry I don't have info on instruction in the Grove area but welcome back to OK anyway!!!

Zephyr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are going to be very disappointed in your upcoming experience with the SDA (Self-Defense Act) training, given your experience and expectations. With only a 50 round shooting requirement, no work from the holster, any hit on the paper is good as long as there are no safety violations -- that doesn't add up to "heavy on gun work" to me...YMMV. IMO, the most valuable part of the class is the the instruction on the law in the classroom.

Here's a link to the SDA handbook if you don't already have it:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

ETA: sorry I don't have info on instruction in the Grove area but welcome back to OK anyway!!!

Thanks Polk78, I got a hint of what you say when I spoke with a range owner today who provides CCW training on a monthly basis. Not a big problem for me, but a missed opportunity for all of us to have better training and more competent CCW holders in Oklahoma. Maybe I will get myself certified and try to put together a class that meets the OK CCW requirements and also teaches folks how to properly and safely handle a firearm.

Thanks for the welcome!

Zephyr...

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Polk78, I got a hint of what you say when I spoke with a range owner today who provides CCW training on a monthly basis. Not a big problem for me, but a missed opportunity for all of us to have better training and more competent CCW holders in Oklahoma. Maybe I will get myself certified and try to put together a class that meets the OK CCW requirements and also teaches folks how to properly and safely handle a firearm.

Thanks for the welcome!

Zephyr...

Kinda thought that might be your first inclination...good luck with that effort.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little late to this party. Been in the mountains of Colorado for a few weeks doing a reset on the system.
Alpha Training Academy in Pryor does a SDA class, classroom and range are at the same location. Not the closest thing to what you want, but it's the closest I know of. They also have matches several times a month to work out your trigger time. Check out their website for more details.
http://www.alphatrainingacademy.com/

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excalibur Sporting Goods in Afton teaches the class, and he's just 20 minutes away from Grove, in Afton.

I don't know when his next class is scheduled but you can call Mike on (918) 257-4126 and find out. They are open 9:30 to 5:00 Tuesday thru Saturday. I've never sat through his instruction but he's a good guy and has always been very accommodating of the Appleseed folks.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. I have spoken with Mike and I believe he is doing the class the first Saturday of each month. I will catch the class first Saturday in Sept.

I am working on a deal to use some property near by out in the brush land for target practice. After I get my Oklahoma CCW, I am going to pursue getting my instructor certification and providing a class that is heavy on range time and gun handling. I have my NRA instructor certification for pistol, rifle, shotgun, self defense in the home, self defense outside the home and range safety. I think my NRA instructor certification is the prerequisite for CLEET certification to teach Oklahoma concealed carry classes, but I need to verify the steps I need to go through.

If anyone knows the drill or who best to contact for the info, I would be much obliged for the information.

Thanks again for the warm welcome back to Oklahoma and the welcome to this board!

Ron...

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ron

Your NRA handgun instructor certification allow you to get your SDA instructor certificate.

While I understand what you want to do, SDA instructors don't get to decide what is taught in the Oklahoma SDA class. Instructors must conduct the class following a specific course outline supplied by CLEET/OSBI.

You are certainly free to offer your students a secondary class, but you cannot require anything outside the SDA outline in the certification class.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To reinforce what Buzzgun said above, if you want to teach gun heavy courses and "not give them a certificate unless they meet your standards" don't bother getting an OK SDA Instructor license.
The CLEET lesson plan is mandatory and passing criteria are set in law. I follow the CLEET lesson plan to the letter. The shooting part of the SDA is simply a safety check: targets are not scored.
Most of the course is laws and a mandatory safety part that has a written test. IMHO, anyone who expects to rewrite the OK SDA course without CLEET approval needs to rethink their plan.

Suggest you give what ever NRA Pistol or Personal Protection Courses you are qualified for if you like teaching shooting courses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom