looking for info on duck hunting overholster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the locations of the blinds. I would imagine a boat would be necessary to get to blind locations that are a safe distance from the public areas. There was an article in the outdoors section of the paper today regarding the blind drawings for Overholser and Draper.

Link to story

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've hunted damn near every blind out there, only wearing waders. The only blinds you could even consider using a boat for are 1-4, on the main body of the lake, but it's easy to walk to them from the gravel path behind them.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Every year there is a different number of spots to be drawn, but you don't have to draw to hunt.
The blind you draw is not yours exclusively, and you can hunt any blind out there, as long as no one else is in it.
They drain the area a month or so before season and give the gate codes at the meeting, so you can work on your blind. The fellers that draw can kick you out if you're in their blind, but only until 7 am. After that, it's yours.
Some guys go all out with stadium seating and retriever hatches, but these blinds are hard to find with no one hunting out of them.
I quit going to the drawing, because some of the spots you draw don't have a blind. As luck would have it, these were the ones I always drew and don't have time to build one from scratch.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water has been the issue the last couple of years, but a ton of people still went to the drawings, water should be good this year though. You are "required" to make improvements to the blind or construct one. Improvements is open to interpretation. Not that it is hard to build a blind, they are not saying you have to bring in 5 sheets of plywood, takes 5 minutes to gather some brush and make a blind.
Blind maps are hard to come by if they do not supply them at the meeting, which they usually do not. I think I have one somewhere.

They do not drain the place a month before as stated, they drain it and fill it whenever they want.

You might also try the Draper drawing, usually only enough people to draw half the spots there and there is actually water this year and boats are allowed now. Just be sure to get a blind map and look where the locations are, some are behind the water dept gates and would require a pretty good hike.

And do not forget you need the permit to draw Overholser and Draper.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good info. i cant seem to find where to buy the permit i know i need it. i found a map online and have it saved. i may try there also. i mainly hunt fortcobb but i cant go down there every weekend or my wife would kill me. so i want a place close to mustang.

Latest posts

Top Bottom