Looking to Begin Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all. I've just gotten a CZ 527 in .223, and I'm looking to start reloading to save myself some money. I don't want a big time operation (for the moment, atleast), so I'm looking into getting a small Lee handheld press. I've got prices scoped out on all of the components, but I feel like I should definitely acknowledge my beginner status and ask a pro "What all do I need?" Looking at Cabelas, there seems like so much stuff I could us, but I just want to know what basic equipment and supplies I need to start reloading .223 and having a good time.

engine4on

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction, reloading is alot of fun. The first thing I think you need to do is buy a reloading manual and read up on the process/stages of reloading. Lyman makes a good one as do other companies.

RCBS makes some starter kits ( both low end and high end) that have everything needed to start reloading.

Check out http://www.handloadersbench.com/ there is alot of great guy's and info on there that can help you get started.

I wish you lived closer so I could show you my set-up in the "Man-Cave", I reload and cast bullets for about 10 different calibers with both progressive and single stage presses.

Good luck. Tim

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lee hand-held press kit includes:

- press
- priming tool
- powder funnel
- case lube

Things you'd definitely need to make a .223 cartridge:

- reloading manual (I use Sierra Edition V...lots of .223 loads)
- .223 dies (I use Lee...they'll include a single powder scoop and shellholder)
- primers
- bullets
- powder

With the hand-held, you really could get by with just the above items. However, you'd simply be shooting the one load that Lee says is safe using their pre-measured powder scoop. You'd have no real means to adjust your loads for accuracy or consistency. With the CZ 527, you'd want to set it up better.

Things to consider as you move further down the line. When you move beyond the hand-held, these items will be a requirement. That means you can buy them when ready, and when you upgrade your press, you won't need to buy them again:
- powder scale (allows you to tailor your loads...you wouldn't need to trust the Lee powder scoop)
- powder measure
- calipers (allows you to adjust your seating depth with consistent results)
- primer pocket tool
- chamfer tool
- a tumbler to clean the brass...there are other options, but they take a lot more time.

Since you're not shooting a semi-auto, and your profile tells me you're a college student on a budget, the hand-held should be fine for a start. It will help you learn the basics. Get a reloading manual (but not the Lee manual...it is simply an advertisement for Lee products).

Final note: Cabela's prices are easy to beat. Check Graf & Sons (only $4.50 to ship everything you buy) or F&M Reloading. F&M prices are nearly impossible to beat, but they're a small group and sometimes out of stock on items. Call them before you place the order.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought - check out the mentioned sites and look at the single stage kits. I promise you that you will NOT be happy with the handloader if you are doing any kind of volume! That's a handy tool to use to exeriment with loads on the range, or to sit in front of the TV resizing brass, but you will be MUCH better off with a real press for the long-term!

Good luck, and enjoy the addiction!

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an econ major, so I like to think on the margin. Looking at different brand of ammunition online, from multiple retailers, I've found .223 rounds anywhere from $.42 to $1.75 per round, depending on type of bullet and manufacturer. Can anyone give me an estimate of what they put into each round?

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I found out about reloading, many years ago I bought an RCBS Special 5 loading kit (I believe that was the number it's been awhile) I loaded many thousands of round with that press then I stepped up since I got into some more interseting calibers, necking up and down cases the press was just not enough so I got the rockchucker press and that was over 10 years ago. I gave a buddy of mine the small press I started with to get him into it and he still uses it to this day. I have a couple of the Lee hand presses and for range work working up loads they are ok but anything with volume foul words will come from your mouth I promise unless you just need to waste a mess of time.

I have found that the Lee loading manual is about the best one out there, they don't make powder or bullets so they are not bias toward one or the other.

If I were to give my honest opinion about purchasing a reloading kit I would push the RCBS Rockchucker the best single stage press in my opinion and you get some extra goodies in there that will just make things easier for ya. I don't care for RCBS dies and use Hornady but the Lee dies are not bad either when you replace that goofy die nut with a crossbolt type.

Don't take what you hear on the internet for truth, if someone states a load check it several times against solid data (reloading manual) but there is a mess of great information out there.

The biggest thing is if you have an issue and think you MAY know what to do ask the folks here to be SURE! there is a wealth of information on this site and some good people to help you out, no question is stupid unless not ask! I have one of the CZ527 in 17 Remington and they will shoot and shoot good so you will be impressed when you start loading and can taylor a round to your rifle that can knock pennies off each shot at 100 yards. Best of luck to ya and have fun. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom