Love for the Classics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few pics. The first one was a 1911 Swedish m96 with an uncommon Fäldt diopter; the second was a 1925 issue (last year of regular production) with an Elit diopter. Both rifles shot very well, especially the 1925. The last pic was of a 1942 Swiss K31; I don't recall what the scope was, but with this glass on a St. Marie mount, the K31 was incredibly accurate :thumb:

Very nice!!

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my first "Classic" M1 Garand today. I bought it from a private seller. He built it from a matched CMP Barrel and Reciever. It is a early 1942 Springfield s/n with a s-a 2-42 barrel. Now if I can only find enough 30-06 "Garand Food" to feed it.

"Garand Food" is a good way to put it. Don't just feed them anything off of Wally Worlds shelf. If you can't find some good American, Dutch, or Greek surplus ammo then look at the new M1 specific offerings from Federal and Hornady. Black Hills also offers a 168gr A-Max round in their Gold Line. Other than those, reloading is your only other option and that needs to be approached carefully. My M1s love 150-168gr bullets and IMR 4064 powder. Don't put anything else in your M1s if you really care about them. And have fun.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Garand Food" is a good way to put it. Don't just feed them anything off of Wally Worlds shelf. If you can't find some good American, Dutch, or Greek surplus ammo then look at the new M1 specific offerings from Federal and Hornady. Black Hills also offers a 168gr A-Max round in their Gold Line. Other than those, reloading is your only other option and that needs to be approached carefully. My M1s love 150-168gr bullets and IMR 4064 powder. Don't put anything else in your M1s if you really care about them. And have fun.

You can shoot any .30-06 ammo that you like if you put in a gas plug. One of the other members on here was talking about it. You put in the plug, adjust it to the ammo you are shooting.........and there ya go.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like a big pumkin slinger, an 1842 Sprinfield Rifled Musket

Same here, even though its not an original, I do have an Zouave 1863 .58cal.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN1605.jpg

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can shoot any .30-06 ammo that you like if you put in a gas plug. One of the other members on here was talking about it. You put in the plug, adjust it to the ammo you are shooting.........and there ya go.

I've seen that aftermarket plug. It is interesting and I've thought about purchasing one, but I would not rely on it too much. The essential thing on the M1 is port preasure and unless the magic plug tells you what the preasure is, you still don't have an accurate measure of what is safe in your rifle or not. The M1 is too special to me to risk trial and error. Sometimes you can't come back from an error. I'll stick with what I know will work.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1 91/30 all the way - peasant's nazi hunter!

#2 M1 Garand - farmer's nazi nunter

#3 SMLE - gentleman's nazi hunter

#4 M38 - fought off both nazis and komies!

#5 Winchester 94 - first real hunting rifle.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen that aftermarket plug. It is interesting and I've thought about purchasing one, but I would not rely on it too much. The essential thing on the M1 is port preasure and unless the magic plug tells you what the preasure is, you still don't have an accurate measure of what is safe in your rifle or not. The M1 is too special to me to risk trial and error. Sometimes you can't come back from an error. I'll stick with what I know will work.

That's what the plug is for........

You start out on the lowest setting and work your way up until the rifle functions properly. The lowest setting lets the most gas out I think, so by increasing the adjustment, it increases the pressure. You know you have it when the rifle cycles properly. Then you grab your pad of paper and pencil, write down the specifics for that ammo and the dial reading, and from there on out you just dial it in when you go back to that ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom