Love for the Classics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my first "Classic" M1 Garand today. I bought it from a private seller. He built it from a matched CMP Barrel and Reciever. It is a early 1942 Springfield s/n with a s-a 2-42 barrel. Now if I can only find enough 30-06 "Garand Food" to feed it.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been talking with my ex father-in-law about his Springfield Garand. He got it several years ago thru CMP and it's pretty nice. He says he'll let it go for $700. What do ya'll think?

I think you're a jerk for rubbing it in our faces that you have the opportunity but apparently pass it up.

I'll give you $750 for being a champ if you want. :hey3:

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it seems I have a nice audience of those who know about the older guns so I guess I'll pose my question here.

How do the czech vz-24s compare to other mauser action rifles as far as quality? I would love a k-98 but I'm picky when it comes to quality and appearance and the nice k-98s are all taken (and I'm cheap).

Is the vz-24 a good supplement for my craving for a mauser action as far as quality and dependability?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're a jerk for rubbing it in our faces that you have the opportunity but apparently pass it up.

I'll give you $750 for being a champ if you want. :hey3:

Ha! Nah, the question was mainly about the price since I've seen Garands priced all over the map. I haven't seen this particular rifle in years but I've shot it a few times in the past. I plan to look at it a bit closer on my next visit to the old inlaws.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ha! Nah, the question was mainly about the price since I've seen Garands priced all over the map. I haven't seen this particular rifle in years but I've shot it a few times in the past. I plan to look at it a bit closer on my next visit to the old inlaws.

Yep, you might even want to get a bore gauge before you go see it, or use a round of ammo, if it drops to the brass go CMP, unless your going to spend the money to have it rebarreled. Also write down the serial number, and barrel date, you'll find that on the side of the barrel when the bolt/charging handle is locked to the rear. Then you can check to see if receiver and barrel match.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it seems I have a nice audience of those who know about the older guns so I guess I'll pose my question here.

How do the czech vz-24s compare to other mauser action rifles as far as quality? I would love a k-98 but I'm picky when it comes to quality and appearance and the nice k-98s are all taken (and I'm cheap).

Is the vz-24 a good supplement for my craving for a mauser action as far as quality and dependability?

I've never had a Czech Mauser, but have known several who have. I believe it is generally considered quite good. I've had K98's, G98's, Persian, Swedish and Argentine and can't say that any were not quality. Some are stronger than others, but if you plan to shoot standard surplus or commercial ammo, you should have no problem with any of them.

The Swedish M96, M94 and M38 are my favorites, especially in terms of quality. Of course, I'd give my (insert just about anything) for a Luxembourg Mauser.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had a Czech Mauser, but have known several who have. I believe it is generally considered quite good. I've had K98's, G98's, Persian, Swedish and Argentine and can't say that any were not quality. Some are stronger than others, but if you plan to shoot standard surplus or commercial ammo, you should have no problem with any of them.

The Swedish M96, M94 and M38 are my favorites, especially in terms of quality. Of course, I'd give my (insert just about anything) for a Luxembourg Mauser.

I was unaware of the Luxembourg Mauser. I did some Googling and it sounds like they are crazy rare.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pics. The first one was a 1911 Swedish m96 with an uncommon Fäldt diopter; the second was a 1925 issue (last year of regular production) with an Elit diopter. Both rifles shot very well, especially the 1925. The last pic was of a 1942 Swiss K31; I don't recall what the scope was, but with this glass on a St. Marie mount, the K31 was incredibly accurate :thumb:

Attachments

• DSC00038S.jpg
    DSC00038S.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01271s.jpg
    DSC01271s.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00962Ss.jpg
    DSC00962Ss.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 119

Latest posts

Top Bottom