Low wind puts Texans on high alert to conserve power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked up the average electricity usage in Texas. I sure wouldn't want to be paying their AC bills.

"Texas – 1.2 megawatts per month - Texas is also the nation's largest electricity producer and leads the country in wind power generation. The majority of state has adopted a deregulated energy market since 1999"

Low wind puts Texans on high alert to conserve power

Reduced wind levels sent wholesale electricity prices in Houston soaring for the second day this week to $9,000 per megawatt hour Thursday afternoon -- the highest price allowed in Texas -- as the state's grid manager called for conservation as the state moves dangerously close to rolling blackouts.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas issued an appeal to the public to reduce consumption for the second day this week as electricity reserves fell Thursday afternoon below 2,300 megawatts. The problem is more dire than it was earlier in the week when prices also reached $9,000 a megawatt hour and stayed there for more than an hour.

Texas isn't getting as much wind as ERCOT predicted, said Trent Crow, founder of the website Real Simple Energy that helps consumers choose low-priced electricity plans. The lower-than-expected levels of wind, consequently, is having an out-sized effect on prices, he said.

Texas is also grappling with about 5,200 megawatts of unexpected outages, said Dan Woodfin, senior director of system operations for ERCOT. ERCOT would not say which generators were off-line but said it reflects generation units that have running at capacity all week to keep up with the heavy demand for power as temperatures hit triple-digits.

Residential and business customers were asked to reduce their electricity usage by bumping air conditioning thermostats up at least two degrees and waiting until after sunset to run appliances like dishwashers, clothes dryers and pool pumps.

Customers that agreed in advance to conserve power in exchange for financial incentives were also asked to conserve power on Thursday afternoon, according to ERCOT.

It has been five years since ERCOT has had to issue calls for conservation. The chairman of the Public Utility Commission DeAnn Walker said she is confident ERCOT has the tools to manage the supply and demand on the electric grid.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, when you are adding over 1,000 new residents PER DAY, you’re bound to run out of power at some point unless you’re continually adding new generation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ew-1000-people-per-day-again-year-half-babies
It takes almost 13 mph sustained winds to make wind energy reliable enough to replace e coal or NG generating plants. Dropping them from the grid IS the issue here God help us if this state drops any more generating plants after the decision to do so with thAEP station at Oologah

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, when you are adding over 1,000 new residents PER DAY, you’re bound to run out of power at some point unless you’re continually adding new generation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ew-1000-people-per-day-again-year-half-babies
I think they can thank Comiefornica for that, and a lot of the blue that is bleeding into their red making purple. I think there ought ot be a law that if you move into a state you cannot vote in local and state elections for 7 years (like the Netherlands does), and you MUST assimilate into that culture, If you can't do that ...stay home.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister lives in North Texas, and her electricity bills are horrible in the summer. Like $400-ish per month horrible. And she has a propane water heater and cookstove.

We're on a rural Co-op and ours was $175.68 last month. Total electric except for a propane Dearborn heater.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lived in a 2-bed 1k sq ft apt in Corpus for a few years. $300 electric bill April-November was common. Glad I moved back to SWOK. This month, my 71° house cost me $52.

Latest posts

Top Bottom