Low wind puts Texans on high alert to conserve power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What oil company with record margins might you be referring to? From what I’ve seen, the energy companies are at record lows as compared to others in the S&P index. Investment in energy companies are at record lows, even lower than through the dot com debacle in the 1990s. That in itself equals a credit shortage. Institutional investors are not buying energy companies. That will be very detrimental to consumer energy prices in the next few years. Better enjoy current prices while you can.

I appreciate the econ lesson, but I could have sworn I typed 'Tax Credit.' The lack of growth isn't due to a credit shortage. Oil companies are still banking record margins. It's that margin that costs jobs. Protect the margin at all costs, hence the layoffs. Because it's not enough to make money... they have to make a ton of money. I understand the logic behind gifting credits. More workers equal more tax revenue, a booming economy, but I still feel the taxes I pay don't deserve to die as an oil field workers welfare.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What oil company with record margins might you be referring to?

My Phillips 66 stock took a recent dip in 2019, but has been steadily growing on average since I got it in '01. Looking around the oil and gas I don't have, I see what you're talking about. Downstream producers are up, upstream explorers are down.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to this source, renewable energy sources make up a small amount of the global stats. Something like 24%, but 17% of that is hydroelectric power. That leaves solar and wind turbines to equal about 7%. Pretty dismal, and danged idiotic to be subsidizing either of those two.

Renewable Energy
It's exponentially more idiotic to put that much grid load reliance on them like Texas has evidently done. And hide and watch, Oklahoma is right behind them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's exponentially more idiotic to put that much grid load reliance on them like Texas has evidently done. And hide and watch, Oklahoma is right behind them.

You can thank your corporation commission for that when it happens.
When I worked for OGE, they spent several million $ doing site surveys and getting the proper regulatory permits to build another base load plant at the Sooner power plant location south of Ponca City. The OCC shut it down and said they needed to add the megawatts by wind power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom