Lowest deer harvest ... in how long?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked both mine at a check station this year. It's right next to the processor that I use and I don't have internet access on my phone. Processor has capability to check deer also in case the check station is closed. I've always done it this way. At least 2 deer a year, sometimes more.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year I only filled two of my tags across all seasons. First time I haven't filled all tags available AND I usually take a doe during the bonus hunt and this is the first time in four years I didn't draw into a controlled hunt. So, not a productive season for me. With that said...

At the place where my buddy and I check in our deer every year, my buddy checked in a NICE buck on the first Saturday of rifle season. We checked it in around 1 pm and the guy at the check station said normally by that time he would have checked in over 250 deer. My buddy was number 32. We are in NW Oklahoma and the herd on our place was thin. Our neighbors aren't growing wheat because of the drought and the ponds are all dry. Typically we are picking and choosing which doe to take and my buddy was trying to just see a doe after he killed the buck with no luck.

I expect the harvest numbers to be low this year.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article predicting this years harvest would be the lowest in over ten years because of the drought. This was predicted several months ago.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I expect low numbers for parts of the state. Hunted Skiatook pha. Saw no other hunters. The hunting club that has all the land around the pha put out feeders which I think sucked the deer off the public land. I say that because I saw no fresh tracks on the public land and lots of deer on their lease as I was driving in and out. Hunted same area 3 years now.
New no baiting rule SUCKS!
Giving up on deer this year and going to concentrate on predators and pigs. Found a good public place with lots of both.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel it's a regional thing. Sasakwa see's very few does, 45 miles away, we are covered up in does.
How does the ODW manage that? I don't have an answer. They would have to micro manage the entire state, and they don't have the money to make that happen.
This right here. I can set in my stand all day and may see 1 or 2 does with fawns and this is on a good day. Most of the time if I do see a doe she will have multiple bucks after her. I really wish people would think a little more when they shoot does. Some areas are overun with them while other areas like mine have very few.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This right here. I can set in my stand all day and may see 1 or 2 does with fawns and this is on a good day. Most of the time if I do see a doe she will have multiple bucks after her. I really wish people would think a little more when they shoot does. Some areas are overun with them while other areas like mine have very few.

I don't think that what you "see" is a good indicator - a lot of deer go nocturnal especially when all the hunting season commotion starts.

On our land we usually take 5-6 deer a year. This year we took only one. I haven't seen a deer in light and yet you can see a lot of fresh tracks over night.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that what you "see" is a good indicator - a lot of deer go nocturnal especially when all the hunting season commotion starts.

On our land we usually take 5-6 deer a year. This year we took only one. I haven't seen a deer in light and yet you can see a lot of fresh tracks over night.

I agree with what MoBoost said. Just because you see few does, does not mean there are few. I have a hard time believing any area in the state has a 1:1 ratio, or anything even close to that.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is the truth. I had a game camera on the site I was hunting. Sat there 2 days for a total of 16 hours and saw 3 deer for 10 seconds. The camera had many deer running around in the night and right up to 5:45 AM when I walked in both days.

:pissed:

Latest posts

Top Bottom