LR308/AR10 suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE*Originally Posted by*Hump66*

The people I know who have had DPMS .308, had nothing but problems from the start with them.

[/QUOTE]
What kind of problems have been reported with the DPMS AR-10? I am also looking at an AR-10, but possibly with an 18" or 20" barrel...

Any comments on Palmetto State Armory components?

Thanks.

LL
Most reported problems seem to be failure to eject, failure to extract, failure to load, failure to cycle completely and failure to fire. ALL of which i just encountered with my new DPMS SASS. I oiled it up before I went to the range and the first mag ran flawlessly. The second mag started my journey through hell. I fired the next mag with a 100% failure rate. By now the heat from my face should have melted the stock, I was beyond furious. And then I remembered a little caption I saw on DPMS' website when I was brousing it. It said "During the break in period (first 4-500 rounds) the action should be liberally lubricated with gun oil." So I did, I had oil seeping out everywhere between the stock and the barrel. And then I shot the next five mags without a hiccup. Short story shorter, keep the action wet with oil until it's broken in.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went ahead and traded the remmy for a dpms lr308, came out on top but either the previous owner or the person that worked on the gun was a bone head because they had the wrong buffer/spring assembly in the gun. Waiting on parts before I can shoot it I guess. Wont be as accurate as the remmy but I shoot steel not paper.:50cal:

Are you happy with the DPMS?

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got two .308 semi auto rifles and two bolt rifles in .308. My first taste of a real AR-10 being an Armalite AR-10T that is a 1998 version. I picked it up with a Generation III Springfield scope with the .308 reticle in it. As my first taste of a reasonable quality AR-10 I was impressed with the National Match trigger. In fact it turned me into a trigger snob and I learned how to run a 1/4X28 tap up through the grip bolt hole and put an Allen set screw to take the play out of the trigger. A couple of years ago I purchased a FNAR .308 with the 20” heavy barrel. While It was okay the trigger was not something that made me very happy and I couldn’t find a way to make it like I wanted. I never seemed to be able to get it group consistently below 1” to 1.5”as opposed to my Armalite AR-10T that gives me consistent .5 MOA groups with 168 grain A-Max bullets. Only problem is the 17 lbs weight. So Tuesday the 28th of April I walked into the Yellow Rose a local range and gun shop run by a friend of mine and he had a Windham .308 Hunter with the wooden laminate nutmeg stock in the rack. There was something about it that turned me on and Wednesday I dropped off my FNAR to see if I could get any nibbles on it so I could make room for the Windham rifle. Well 3 hours later I got a call and it sold for what I had asked. I expected it to set on his shelf for two or three weeks so I was pretty tickled. On Thursday I had some time so I wandered down to the shop to make the deal the rifle. I've been working most of the evening on it getting it like I want it. I tried to get the trigger down to a reasonable weight the way I usually do by running a ¼”X28 tap up in the grip mounting hole and putting a 1/4 “ allen set screw to reduce the length of pull on the trigger however by doing that and putting lighter springs I still couldn’t bring the trigger pull down below 6 lbs. So in the long run I ended up putting a 1.5 lb Jard trigger in it and mounted a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Extreme Tactical scope on it that I originally had on the FN. So far I've not had the time to work up any loads for it but my Armalite AR10T load of 168 gr Hornady A-Max in a Federal case, CCI Magnum primer and Varget powder has given me 5/8 center to center group so far. I'm pretty pleased for it to perform this well without me tweaking the load so far and it only having an 18" barrel. I do believe this rifle is going to be my new deer rifle and hog hammer.

upload image online

uploading images

I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Latest posts

Top Bottom