M1-A Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey guys, I am about to pick up a Springer Scout Squad and I can't seem to find any feedback at all on these guns. Accuracy, Reliability, you know the drill. Trying to decide between the Scout and the SOCOM.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SOCOM has a proprietary gas system from what I understand - different than the standard gas system on the Scout and full-sized M1A. I've heard of possible issues with it, but most I've heard about have no trouble. A friend has one that has run without a problem as well. I like the Scout myself.

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeff,
It's all up to you man. But if you're taking suggestions I would go with the Scout. And if you can find one, I'd get a scout that was made in the early to mid 1990's. Back then they still had a lot of GI parts on them and those are some of the better ones. Nowdays they've got lots of reproduction parts that are good, but they're not quite the same. The Scout will do everything that the SOCOM will do and it does it with exactly the same parts as a standard M1A; except for barrel length of course. I've seen the muzzle blast out of a Scout and it was impressive, but the SOCOM even more so. The SOCOM has a muzzle break that helps but that comes at the expense of some flash supression and increased noise. You have to weigh the costs and benefits. I've got a buddy who is a combat arms instructor down in Texas and he trains hundreds of soldiers a month on the M240 and 249. One of his fellow instructors brought a SOCOM to the range and fired it along with the dozen or so 240s on the line. My friend said that he could hear the SOCOM firing over all the machine guns. I hope this info helps you. I love my standard M1A by the way and would also have a Scout if I could.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the GI parts bit is overhyped for the average use most folks will put the rifle through...

But +1for the Scout.

Latest posts

Top Bottom