M4: Colt vs. BCM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4: COLT or BCM?

• Colt

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • BCM

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that the industry IS starting to trend toward nitrided barrels. Just a few years ago they were unheard of and unavailable... now there are several major mfg's using them. And aestus is right on in saying that they haven't caught on quicker because the mil spec is chrome, for better or worse. Kind of like how 1/8 twist barrels aren't as common, even though most who know their stuff consider that to be the optimal twist rate for shooting all the different weight bullets that will fit in an AR mag. I have to admit I was skeptical of nitrided barrels at first too, until I started looking into them more. The only benefit chrome has over nitriding is that chrome does have a "slicker" surface, making cleaning easier. But nitriding resists corrosion and erosion just as well, which are the main points to a barrel lining IMO. Also it has a cheaper and more simple process to install, and allows for more consistency in the thickness, hence generally better accuracy. However, I will say that there are some very accurate chrome-lined barrels out there... Criterion has a good reputation for that.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a LOKI upper anyway and freakin' love it so all is good in the hood. I was just looking for the exact type of responses I got from those who knew more than I did on the subject so thanks fer duh edjumakashun.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for BCM. I just picked up a RECCE 16 and love it. Shoots well and hasn't malfunctioned in the few (330 or so) rounds I've put though it. Build quality appears to be excellent. Your only problem will be finding a BCM in stock. Colts can even be found at Walmart now.

I just saw a Colt LE6920 at the Weatherford Walmart. $1047???, I think. They also had a Remington DPMS Sportical flat top with no sights and a 30 rd mag for $587.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what nitride treatment Loki uses but I do know that titanium nitride is much harder and more durable than chrome. More expensive too. I worked around chrome plated and Tin ( titanium nitride) plated hard steel rolls in an industrial use for many years. We first started with chrome and then we went to Tin plated over chrome and the life of the roll increased by more than 500%. We used the Tin plating in several other places that we wanted to protect hard steel from wear. Tin's natural color is a gold almost bronze shade. I there was a rifle barrel with that in the bore it would be a BIG plus.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info guys. I'm liking my options now from LOKI, BCM, Colt and S&W. With three kids ages 5 to 9, there's not a lot of time in my life to build anything, much less an AR. I'm an AR noob, so the more put together the rifle is when I buy it, the better. I'm the sole provider for my family, so this may be my only AR for the foreseeable future. It's got to be a good one. I appreciate all the great advice.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of that old thread "Which would you trust right out of the box".

Gunshots ring out! Lo and behold there seems to be a BCM and a Colt laying on the floor next to you! Oh mamma mia which do you grab?

Either because I have full confidence that both companies will get it right the first time.

Everyone's answer would be the same if it were a BCM/Colt and an Olympic Arms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom