M4: Colt vs. BCM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4: COLT or BCM?

• Colt

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • BCM

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you were smart enough to understand my post I said just that. Buying the brand doesn't make it better. Either buying the rifle already with upgraded parts or buying a plane jane and updating yourself, IT DOES NOT MATTER. The brand of the AR doesn't have anything to do with it. I can make an Olympic Arms with upgrades just as acurate and functional as a Wilsons Combat or Knight Armament SR-15.

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is not about money it's about which brand is the best basicaly. But you can save a lot of money by doing the upgrades yourself. You can put a Delton together for about $600. Spend $1,000 on upgrades and still be at half the price of an KA SR-15.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were smart enough to understand my post I said just that. Buying the brand doesn't make it better. Either buying the rifle already with upgraded parts or buying a plane jane and updating yourself, IT DOES NOT MATTER. The brand of the AR doesn't have anything to do with it. I can make an Olympic Arms with upgrades just as acurate and functional as a Wilsons Combat or Knight Armament SR-15.

This is not about money it's about which brand is the best basicaly. But you can save a lot of money by doing the upgrades yourself. You can put a Delton together for about $600. Spend $1,000 on upgrades and still be at half the price of an KA SR-15.

Sure, if you replace the receiver extension, buffer & spring, lower parts kit, bolt carrier group, charging handle, barrel assembly and front sight base. Then what you're left with is a mutt built on a poorly regarded receiver that will not be worth the sum total of the parts cost on the resale market. OR, you could buy the quality rifle already assembled and have a significantly higher residual value than the mutt you just spent a lot of time putting together. To put it bluntly, you can dress a pig in a ballerina costume and call it a ballerina, but it still ain't gonna get the part in a school production, much less the NYC Ballet. :rolleyes2

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. BCM is not cheap...their popularity is reflecting in their prices: BCM isn't as inexpensive as some think, and Noveske isn't as expensive. You can shop around for prices I'm sure, but these are the basic MSRPs.

BCM Mid 16 Mod 0: MSRP $1120ish
Noveske N4 basic (mid): MSRP $1590ish

$470 diff....not near double and you get more add-ons on the Noveske (iMod stock, TD grip, QD end plate etc...)...and IMHO, a better quality rifle.

I'm just going on parts (mostly uppers) I've priced out recently from PSA, BCM, LMT and Noveske and Noveske is always significantly more. Never priced a basic Noveske for sure, and I've seen that BCM go for nearly $100 less recently on slickguns.

Surely we can agree that ~$500 is ~50% more than the BCM and that's quite a step up than "a bit" which is my whole point. Rather it is to me anyways..... don't get me wrong... I wish it were true. :D

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have built and shot more ARs than I care to remember. It does not matter what a upper and lower say. Some are built to just a little closer tolerances but all that does is make the pins harder to take down. Now you can uprgade about every piece on the AR and make it a lot better and you can buy ARs that have the upgrades already done but that doesn't make their brand any better. The only reason to buy one brand over another is because dumbies will pay more for one brand than they will another. Now the billet pieces are considerably better but you have to get a matched set usualy or the won't match up right.

I understand the logic, but don't agree with it. For one thing it's not about closer or tighter tolerances, it's about correct tolerances.

It's also not about the sum collection of parts...it's about the quality control, testing, and standing behind the product.

A $600 Del-ton with $1000 worth of "upgrades" is not better or even the same as a $1600 Noveske. The modified Del-ton has not gone through testing, does not meet any specs whatsover because it is a collection of parts from various manufacturers with no QC or testing prior to assembly, and when/if it goes tits up, no one company is going to stand behind the build...since you bubba'd it up yourself.

That's not to say building something yourself is bad or makes your AR suck (I've got a few kitchen table built ARs)...but it sure doesn't make it the same as a complete rifle spec'd, tested, and built by a quality manufacturer who stands behind their rifles. Ask guys like Pat Rogers of EAG tactical, he sees hundreds/thousands of guns a year running 100s of thousands of rounds of ammo...the guns that puke are not the guns built by Noveske, Colt and BCM.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going on parts (mostly uppers) I've priced out recently from PSA, BCM, LMT and Noveske and Noveske is always significantly more. Never priced a basic Noveske for sure, and I've seen that BCM go for nearly $100 less recently on slickguns.

Surely we can agree that ~$500 is ~50% more than the BCM and that's quite a step up than "a bit" which is my whole point. Rather it is to me anyways..... don't get me wrong... I wish it were true. :D

If you price their barrel assemblies, most of the extra cost is there unless you're also looking at their Gen 2 Flared Forged Lowers or Vltor MUR uppers. Noveske barrels are renowned for both accuracy and lifespan. Not everyone needs that level of barrel quality.

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't see it made economical since. Because you are not going to be able to ever get your money out of a cheaper priced brand. But the fact is it can be just as good. If you shop around you can find good deals that make economical since. Usualy people hard up for money make good deals. I got a KA SR-25 308 for $2500 one time.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, Loki has an 18" dmr profile stainless barrel with rifle length gas that's double fluted and chamberes in .223 wylde. Colt doesn't.
Loki is offering a race ready 3-gun rifle. Colt doesn't.
Loki has a lmos system. Colt doesnt.
Loki has always been willing to do group buys to save us all some money. Colt doesnt.

And, loki is in state and supports/sponsors a lot of local shooting events.

Not completely true anymore.

Colt Competition rifle. 18" fluted rifle gas 1x8 stainless barrel, .223 Wylde chamber. I'd pretty much call it race ready too.

http://coltcompetitionrifle.com/colt-pro-crp-18/

Not that that changes which one I'd buy, just sayin'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom