M4: Colt vs. BCM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4: COLT or BCM?

• Colt

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • BCM

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for BCM. I just picked up a RECCE 16 and love it. Shoots well and hasn't malfunctioned in the few (330 or so) rounds I've put though it. Build quality appears to be excellent. Your only problem will be finding a BCM in stock. Colts can even be found at Walmart now.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are top tier weapons for a reason - can't go wrong with either. However, I do believe BCM has proven themselves to not only provide world-class products but to have, possibly, the best customer service.

By buying the lower separatly, you can save some coin. BCM offers "Blemished Lowers" that carry a full warranty (some blemishes can't even be noticed).

BCM Blemished Lower - complete, no stock (w/ shipping) $300
16" Mid-Length Complete Upper (Std or Light Wt.) $419
BCM Full Auto BCG $149
BCM GunFighter Charging Handle $45

Then Shop for your accessories (prices shown from BCM site) but obviously better deals are out there:
MagPul MOE Stock $60
MagPul MOE Handguard $30
Troy Folding Rear Sight $120
PMag $15 (shipped free from Aim Surplus)

BCM Stuff = $913
Misc Stuff = $225
Total = $1138

I think you would save about $100-150 off BCM's prices for thier complete weapons (as of last year).

Just for reference for those wincing about piecing it together like this. Nothing more complicated than cleaning your gun.

I see BCM is suspending orders on assembled weapons due to such high demand. So piecing it together may be your only option, unless you can find one in stock (at an inflated price).

Good luck. I don't think you'd experience buyers remorse regardless of your choice.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like BCM better simply because they have options other than the typical "M-4gery" setup with a 16" barrel and carbine-length gas. As far as quality goes, they are both excellent though, so if an "M-4gery" is what you want, I say go with whichever you can get the best deal on.

I am also very impressed with Palmetto State Armory. They are new to the AR game, but they offer rifles built to all the same specs as Colt and BCM (which is to say meeting or exceeding the mil specs) for lower prices, and they have all sorts of different setups available as well. My last build was a 20" gov't-profile from them, and I am very satisfied with it so far. I only spent $700 all told, and it is decked out with Magpul everything. I think PSA is probably the best value for your money right now.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also very impressed with Palmetto State Armory. They WERE new to the AR game, but they offer rifles built to all the same specs as Colt and BCM (which is to say meeting or exceeding the mil specs) for lower prices, and they have all sorts of different setups available as well.

Fixed it for you. They have been in the game for a while now, hardly new but I do agree with just about everything you've posted. Their rifles are up there in value.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, they've been making stripped lowers for a while, but they only started selling uppers last year. That makes them "new" in my book. In any case, they meet or exceed the mil specs, and offer those FN barrels made out of '249 blanks with the double thick chrome lining just like Noveske uses, and their prices are better than anybody else's. That makes them a winner IMO.

But honestly, if I didn't care about different length barrels or mid-length gas or anything, and just wanted a basic M-4gery that I could take out of the box and shoot, and not have to put together a lower or anything, I would go with a S&W M&P 15 Sport over Colt or BCM. They are $600 shipped, with an outstanding warranty, and they have a great nitrided barrel that will last as long as a chromed GI one but with better accuracy. Those M&P Sports are getting a lot of positive reviews, for good reason.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If nitrided barrels are just as tough as chrome and more accurate why wouldn't the industry trend toward nitrided barrels?

Cost and also it's not "mil-spec." Remember, mil-spec doesn't always mean it's better. Nickle-boron / Fail zero type coatings aren't "mil-spec" but they are superior to just having "mil-spec" coatings on your BCG and chamber. I would argue that mid-length gas systems aren't mil-spec either, but I'm pretty sure most people who know anything about AR's or builds AR's is going to argue with how much more reliable & smoother operating a midlength will make a 16" upper run.

The only thing Nitrided barrels have over Chrome barrels is that Nitriding is much thinner and even. It makes your rifle much more "accurate." The chrome plating is thicker and it's hard to apply it so it's even all the way down the bore. Also, the bore is cut slightly bigger to accommodate the chrome. How much more accurate Nitrided barrels are compared to chrome barrels vs the cost is arguable.

I'm ok with either. Only time I would want Nitrided is if I'm going for a dedicated long range AR using a scope and don't want a stainless barrel. However, it just so happens that both of my main AR's (Loki and LWRC) both have Nitrided barrels and both are insanely accurate :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom