Mag na porting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a 30-378 Weatherby w/a Magna Port brake, even with a round that big, you can still see your target through the scope after you pull the trigger. I was amazed at how much it reduced the recoil, but man, that @#$ was loud! When watching my brother shoot it, the muzzle blast blew my hat off from over 10 ft. Don't throw it across a truck hood to shoot unless you want to mess up the paint job.(yes, that's from experience, dad's truck, not mine).

I know a guy who threw a ported rifle (not Magna Port) across the top of his buddy's hood and when he pulled the trigger it cracked the windshield.

Jpt

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some interesting experiences mentioned.

I've had a 2" barreled 41 Magnum full lug (snub) N-Frame S&W for many (about 20+) years, with two small magnaport slots near the end, at the top of the barrel. It works very well.

In our circle, several had similar big-bore concealed carry snubs built from
N-Frame 44 specials, 41 magnums, even a few on 44 magnums. We wanted the concealed firepower of the big cartridges, but had to be able to shoot it accurately. And so, magnaporting was necessary.

Have shot several other pistols and rifles that had been magnaported, but have never seen any with magnaported slots below the barrel midline, instead they were always at the top quarter to minimize muzzle climb.

It seems unlikely that such top vents would cause anyone to scorch the paint on the hood of a car/truck.

Magnaporting is not a thread-on muzzle break or flash suppressor.

Since this is supposed to be the "rifle" section, I would offer that if you are even thinking about doing something to reduce the felt recoil of your rifle, then do it.

I routinely shoot unported .308Win, 7mmRM, and .300WM, but the stocks are well designed on these tactical rifles.

Some people buy "hunting" rifles based on light weight without realizing that the stock might be less functional than a fence post when used with their chosen cartridge.

A good gunsmith may be able to thread your barrel and install a good break (like a Vais for example), to turn your hard-kicking .322 MuleMag into a decent shooting rifle.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the mag na porting process? And if so what did you like/dislike about it? I have a Remington 7mm mag that I'm thinking about having this done to it to reduce recoil but I don't know if it's worth it and if will devalue my rifle. I've heard that a muzzle brake can affect accuracy and don't want that. On there website magnaport.com they say that there is no accuracy or velocity affect from this process. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

A PROPERLY INSTALLED muzzle break doesn't affect accuracy, and, some are removable. Install the break when practicing, remove the break and install a thread protector when hunting. Have a GOOD recoil pad installed.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some interesting experiences mentioned.

I've had a 2" barreled 41 Magnum full lug (snub) N-Frame S&W for many (about 20+) years, with two small magnaport slots near the end, at the top of the barrel. It works very well.

In our circle, several had similar big-bore concealed carry snubs built from
N-Frame 44 specials, 41 magnums, even a few on 44 magnums. We wanted the concealed firepower of the big cartridges, but had to be able to shoot it accurately. And so, magnaporting was necessary.

Have shot several other pistols and rifles that had been magnaported, but have never seen any with magnaported slots below the barrel midline, instead they were always at the top quarter to minimize muzzle climb.

It seems unlikely that such top vents would cause anyone to scorch the paint on the hood of a car/truck.

Magnaporting is not a thread-on muzzle break or flash suppressor.

Since this is supposed to be the "rifle" section, I would offer that if you are even thinking about doing something to reduce the felt recoil of your rifle, then do it.

I routinely shoot unported .308Win, 7mmRM, and .300WM, but the stocks are well designed on these tactical rifles.

Some people buy "hunting" rifles based on light weight without realizing that the stock might be less functional than a fence post when used with their chosen cartridge.

A good gunsmith may be able to thread your barrel and install a good break (like a Vais for example), to turn your hard-kicking .322 MuleMag into a decent shooting rifle.

Some of the Magna Ports have "relief" holes drilled all the way around the circumfrence of the barrel in order to displace more recoil. I have only shot one w/ a "top 3/4" muzzle break, and I do liiiiiike them!

Reaction score
OK, you asked for input:

1. Will it degrade accuracy or velocity? No, they're right about that.

2. Will it reduce felt recoil? Meeehhhhhhh, maaaaybe just a smidgeon, maybe not; certainly not enough to make it worth the tradeoff (see below)

3. Will it reduce muzzle flip? Yes, it will, but this is a turnbolt, not a semi, right? So you have to cycle the action anyway. So you actually want a bit of muzzle flip, to allow you to cycle the action in a bit of a downward and back fashion instead of straight back, which I find a faster / more efficient cycling of the action than straight back. So the ONE thing that it will do (reduce muzzle flip) is arguably a negative not a positive on anything but a semi-auto.

4. (the big one) Is this a hunting rifle? If yes, then the last thing on earth you want to do is put a loudener on it. You just have to ask yourself do you, or do you not, want to be one of those old men who drive their spouses crazy by having to say "what, what, what" 100 times a day?

If it's not for hunting, then I guess marginally it may be worth it. If for hunting, then not only no, but hell no.

YMMV.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only ported weapon is a Browning BPS stalker 10 ga. The porting allows a quicker secon shot, but throws $h*t in the shooter's face. Gotta have eye protection (good in any case).

Fellow hunters don't like it, and now that there is better non toxic shot, I have gone back to my old 870 for most social occasions.

I still use the 10 with steel when hunting geese alone and I use it on sandhill cranes. For cranes I use 2 and a half ounces of #4 buck, and even with a 10 pound gun, the recoil is noticable, but it'll kill a crane at 80 yards, even though crane feathers would make a pretty good substitute for kevlar.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only ported weapon is a Browning BPS stalker 10 ga. The porting allows a quicker secon shot, but throws $h*t in the shooter's face. Gotta have eye protection (good in any case).

Fellow hunters don't like it, and now that there is better non toxic shot, I have gone back to my old 870 for most social occasions.

I still use the 10 with steel when hunting geese alone and I use it on sandhill cranes. For cranes I use 2 and a half ounces of #4 buck, and even with a 10 pound gun, the recoil is noticable, but it'll kill a crane at 80 yards, even though crane feathers would make a pretty good substitute for kevlar.

Have you tried shooting cranes w/a .22-250? It sure makes 'em hump up!

Latest posts

Top Bottom