mag pouch for comp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What mag pouches do you guys use for comp? I usually use comp tac, but ive seen others with the ones that can slant. What are you guys thoughts about the adjustable pouches...and if I do get one..Blade tech or safari land?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new into the pistol competition, and have started out with a 3 gun mag pouch. There may be some better, but this is what I have and am happy with it.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of Comp-Tac gear! They build great equipment and keep their word when it comes to delivery times. I also have some Safariland 773 mag pouches which you can cant to your desired angle.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently using CR Speed mag holders that are adjusteble for my limited setup. They can be titled but I have always used them striaght up and down... Mitch is absolutely right about the comp-tac gear as well.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Glock 34 & 35. For pistol only matches I use the CR Speed pouches. These have unlimited tilt abilities but I run all of my pouches straight up and in the position that is legal for Production division. I feel the same position adds consistency. I do believe you can reload faster from that one angled pouch in the front that you see all the hardcore limited and open division shooters run.
I like the CR Speed pouches for pistol matches and for the Glock mags because they are easily adjustable with that huge tension knob. I keep them very loose for pistol matches because ee dont do very many long full speed runs. If a stage has a section that will have me running hard I crank them down tight.
They also come with 3-4 inserts that allow you to use STI, Glock, CZ, Beretta and several other mags.
For 3 Gun matches I use the Bladetech Bobby McGee Pro Series pouches. These blade techs are nice! The are adjustable for can't but nit as much so as the CR Speed. They have the Tek Lock attachment that allows you to take them off and put them back on quickly. The reason I use them for 3 gun and not pistol only is that the glock mags fit a little more snuggly in them to the CR Spees pouches. The tension is adjustable with a screw driver and you can really cinch them down. They are also slightly taller than the CR's which makes them more secure but slightly harder to grab a short mag with no extended base pad like you would use in Production division.
So if you want a faster less secure pouch get the CR Speed. It's the most popular in USPSA too. If you want a more secure pouch get the Bladetech.
I should also add that Bladetechs customer service is awesome! I bought a $65 DOH holster for my 625. The UPS guy left it on my porch and my 100 lb. Mastiff puppy chewed it up beyond use. I called Bladetech and told them what happened and asked if they could sell me another holster at a discount and they gave me a FREE replacement and I only had to pay for shipping!!! That's service!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can call me Jesse.

I use the CR speed setup for pistol only matches.I bought a double alpha belt to try too. I like the extra rigidity that the outer double alpha belt had but I don't like the skinny under belt from double alpha. So for 3 gun, rifle and shotgun matches I use that stiff outer double alpha belt with the cr speed inner. Once the double alpha wears out I probably won't replace it. I keep the skinny double alpha inner belt rolled up in my range bag just in case I forget my inner belt which I do all to frequently.
I also have a Wilderness tactical instructor which is similar to the 5.11 belt that I use for IDPA. I would use the wilderness for daily carry too if I carried daily.
As you can tell I'm a bit of a gear queer. I like to try everything and pick what works for me.

I'd be happy to bring all of the belts to the range or a match and let you take a look for yourself so you can make your own educated decision.

The tech lock works great on all of the belts. The newer teck lock locking mechanism is also better than the older one. If you order directly from Bladetech it may take a little longer to get your stuff but your more likely to get new stick and the new tek locks.
Good luck!

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am a bit of a normalist now. After trying all of the fancy rigs, I use an uncle mikes belt with an uncle mikes double mag holder, bladetech belt holster (not DOH) and that's about it.
Jesse is the king of gear as I believe he has purchased just about everything. Don't get hung up on the fancy expensive stuff, it will not help you shoot more accurate or faster.

My $.02

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Comp-Tac and CR Speed are probably the two most common in competition. I like the Comp-Tac because they can be used for just about anything, even carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom