Mail theft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a scumbag or two following the UPS truck in our neighborhood last week. They were apparently stealing the packages left on people's porches as soon as the truck pulled away. They got a whopping tractor air filter off of mine and a mower blade off of my neighbors.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will be dropping mail at post office from now on. Will also be getting a PO box.
That's what my parents do; if I ever sent mail, it's what I'd do, as well, but the only outbound mail I ever have in my box is the stuff that the sorters mis-sorted. (I can understand the stuff that's destined for my neighbors, but they occasionally get the right number on the wrong street, missing by two miles--literally. I wonder what kind of meds those were, anyway?)

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It makes great sense to have a container which can have something very important and/or very valuable sitting on the edge of the street where just any low-life piece of trash can drive by and take whats inside.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have locked boxes where I live. Otherwise most of the snail mail goes to the post office.

For those people who are wanting to setup their own camera's to catch the thieves doing this stuff it's not too hard to do. They do sell all in one box systems at walmart and sams among other places but if you want to put in more than 4 camera's or want to be able to add/remove at any point start looking at IP Camera's. You can get WiFi ones if you want or run a single cat 5 and use POE to send power to the camera. I use a software called IspyConnect www.ispyconnect.com you can interface with simple USB webcams, capture cards and IP cams.

They also offer remote access via smart phones/tablets or computer for a monthly fee as well as alerts sent when certain parameters are met. But for recording and accessing while at the location of the computer recording the feeds. Can even go as far as to put in a license plate reader that can open gates for plates that are added to the system if you want to really get anal about security.

Latest posts

Top Bottom