Making Sauerkraut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone here make their own? My mom's side of the family is/was Czech...............I've seen my great grandma and grandma make a ton of it as a kid. Stinky stuff before and after eating, but great food! Tired of store bought, planning my first batch soon.

scube

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've made a few batches. Extremely easy. Cabbage, salt and water. You need the freshest you can find so it has the highest water content. I use organic from Sprouts or Whole Foods. You can look at amazon for all the fancy crocks and everything but you can manage just fine without. I use a 10 dollar 2 gallon glass cookie jar type thing from walmart. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. After you make some The store bought stuff will repulse you.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup.. its easy... figure about 3 table spoons of salt ( I use canning salt ) per 5 lbs of cabbage.
I need to get busy making some myself. Getting that time of the year we need the juice for immune boosting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom