Mar-a-Lago can't be a home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
u
No enough concerns to ask a question about it. But enough concer to ask a question about one person. TDS is hard to live with it.
Do you have any other specific persons to ask about? I haven't seen you start a thread on them yet. I mean, I know to some people Trump is God and can't be questioned, but at minimum he is the President and as such has a pretty high profile. So is asking questions wrong? You don't know a thing about me but want to apply a "TDS" label. But it looks like by that logic you'd be on the other side in the NQT (Never Question Trump) camp.

I'll look forward to seeing your post of a specific example to counterbalance this question, or a link to one I might have missed should you produce such a link.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, Google shows that TDS can mean either "Trump Derangement Syndrome" or "Trump Devotion Syndrome" ...

Carry on. :drunk2:
LOL....it should be clear from my post history, or maybe even just this thread, that I am not devoted to any politician. They're all self-serving bumholes in my book. So I figured chances are high Laura wasn't referring to that :blush:

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is about taxes but it touches on the topic. We know NY is not going to let gp of the tax income without a fight. If I was Trump I would move everything out of NY and tell them to kiss my a$$.

The 1993 agreement Trump made with the Town of Palm Beach to convert Mar-a-Lago from a residence to a private club did not address whether Trump could live at the club.
So in theory there is nothing stopping him.

Trump conveyed the title of the property from his personal possession to a corporate entity he controlled named Mar-a-Lago Club, Inc. Under the agreement, the club's 10 guest suites could be used only by members for a maximum of three times a year for no longer than seven days at a time. And those seven-day stays couldn’t be strung together consecutively.
The club's 10 guest suites

Whether that provision applies to Trump, who has private quarters at the club, has never been questioned, and it is not known how New York auditors might view Trump's residency there.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...rida-resident-easy-but-n-y-let-go/6264499002/

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good find. But I'd also present this article: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...-lago-estate-once-presidency-ends/3923305001/ where they report:

However, there remains the question of whether Trump – as owner of the corporate entity that owns the club – should be considered a member or an owner. Trump purchased Mar-a-Lago in 1986 and lived at the estate during the season with his first wife Ivana and their children.

Trump and his attorney, Paul Rampell, presented Trump's plan to convert Mar-a-Lago at a Town Council meeting on May 13, 1993. Rampell assured the council that Trump would no longer live at Mar-a-Lago.

"Another question that's often asked to me is whether Mr. Trump will continue to live at Mar-a-Lago," Rampell said during the presentation. "No, except that he will be a member of the club and and therefore will be entitled to the use of guest rooms."

But all of Rampell's verbal assurances did not make it into the agreement. There is no language about whether Trump — as owner — must abide by the rules about overnight stays that apply to members. Neither Rampell nor the Trump Organization returned a request for comment.
Part of the reason this is so interesting to me as a question is because while they covered that he would not live there, it was not codified. So how much weight does the past agreement and presentation to Palm Beach make here. The bolded part above certainly could be argued as a verbal contract, although I don't know what Florida law says on that topic. But the use agreement sure doesn't codify anything. Which is why earlier in the thread I stated my belief that a lot of lawyers are going to make a lot of money on this topic.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But he is not using the Guest rooms, he has private quarters. For all we know the agreement changed and since FL has lax legal residency rules and a ton of lawyers to prevent him giving the Dimocrats a reason to investigate him again. My bet is he will buy a nice home there but for now his private quarters seem to be legal.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But he is not using the Guest rooms, he has private quarters. For all we know the agreement changed and since FL has lax legal residency rules and a ton of lawyers to prevent him giving the Dimocrats a reason to investigate him again. My bet is he will buy a nice home there but for now his private quarters seem to be legal.
You have certainly posted the best support for that theory in the whole thread, I will give you that. I don't really believe I have enough info or expertise to say either way. I still think there are arguments to be made either way, but I don't have a J.D. after my name.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use the proper forms to complain.
Butthurt-report.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom