Match bullets for hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot on opinions on using match bullets for hunting. Examples: ELD-X vs. ELD-M, Berger Match Burners, you could go all day.

I’m currently finding more Match than Hunting bullets, I’m guessing that people are buying hunting bullets as to achieve a combo bullet? A no doubt guess, but do y’all have proven Match bullets that work for Hunting?

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ELD-X , it is marketed as a “match hunting” round. It is claimed to expand.
The rest, one had best be certain where that nonexpanding round will punch a hole through the animal with little expansion unless it meets heavy bone.
Personally I would never use a match projectile for hunting anything except under dire circumstances. Wild hogs not included of course.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with sklfco. I don't hunt much anymore so it's easier for me to just stick with a known hunting bullet. I know a lot of people claim Sierra SMKs work great for hunting but Sierra frowns on them for that. They also have hunting bullets that are very close in profile or even match their SMKs so I always went that way or just went with a Nosler Partition or known Hornady. Plenty of choices out there if you can find stock.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with sklfco. I don't hunt much anymore so it's easier for me to just stick with a known hunting bullet. I know a lot of people claim Sierra SMKs work great for hunting but Sierra frowns on them for that. They also have hunting bullets that are very close in profile or even match their SMKs so I always went that way or just went with a Nosler Partition or known Hornady. Plenty of choices out there if you can find stock.
Same. The Sierra hunting bullets perform extremely well in the accuracy department.

The SP 175 8mms are one of my favorites - hogs, deer, all manner of critters have fallen to those, and I'm pretty sure their accuracy is not my limiting factor when pursuing game.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed one doe @250 with my 6.5 using 140 grain Berger VLD Target running just shy of 2700 FPS from a 22" barrel. She went about 2 feet due to her "hop" and it ripped the soul right out of her. Exit would was pretty gnarly too. I'd have no problem taking a Whitetail using this load all day long.

If I were going to use this rifle on say a Bear or Elk, I'd definitely use a traditional hunting bullet, probably 147 grains or heavier. The internal construction of a hunting bullet v's a target bullet is designed for the thicker skin and bone construction.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot on opinions on using match bullets for hunting. Examples: ELD-X vs. ELD-M, Berger Match Burners, you could go all day.

I’m currently finding more Match than Hunting bullets, I’m guessing that people are buying hunting bullets as to achieve a combo bullet? A no doubt guess, but do y’all have proven Match bullets that work for Hunting?
First off, are you looking to load up you’re own ammo or are you looking at factory stuff? Second, what caliber?

I’ve never used a target/match bullet for deer, but I’ve killed a bunch of pigs with FMJ 223 ammo.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before I started reloading, I had one 308 that would not shoot anything with any accuracy except FGMM. That would shoot sub-1” groups all day. I let my daughter use that for a few deer seasons and she took took 2 good bucks and several doe with no issues. Granted that kid can shoot the nuts off a gnat so I can’t say the bullet performed well or if it was just a prime example of good shot placement, but she never lost a deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom