Matthew Bracken's "The Enemies Trilogy" - some thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, bear with me... I'm long-winded. Or click away.

So I DL'd these recently when they were free (I'm a cheap bastard).

I started the first one, Enemies Foreign and Domestic and while I thought the first couple pages were a little overly stylized, within a chapter or two, I was hooked. I was actually a little nervous, almost afraid. I could easily see something like the events unfolding in the book could happen in America. And then remembered this was written pre-Sandy Hook and saw the eerie similarities. Luckily, we "dodged that bullet", but the next one we might not. It was kind of sobering.

As I read further, I got more and more into it, really liked the writing style and felt it was a great story. Actually reminded me a good bit of Without Remorse by one of my absolute favorite authors of all time, Tom Clancy. Overall, I found it an incredibly enjoyable read and finished it in a few days.

When I started book 2, Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista, I had high hopes. However, I'm not as into this one... I don't know, it just isn't grabbing me the same way. Maybe it's the change of focus, venue, or whatever, but I'm just not finding it as much of a page-turner as the previous. I'm actually about 35% or so through it, according to my Kindle app, so I'm hoping it gets better. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, and I'm not complaining, I just don't feel it is living up to the first one, really.

Either way, I'd highly recommend these for anyone here. Great stuff. Just wanted to share a few thoughts on them so far.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree the book 2 was little slow, at the beginning.

But, book 2 is slow changing from fiction, to reality with MS13 and the border invasion!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not the only one. I will finish it, and I'm reading some every day, almost... but I think the first was outstanding. We'll see where the second goes.

Nilbog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finished the third book last night. It was better than the second book. I thought it ended just when it really started to get interesting. Maybe a book 4 in the future?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say that Book 1 was the best of the three.
Book 2 was fair. I did struggle a bit to get thru it.
Book 3 was better than Book 2.
Castigo Bay was OK. Maybe a bit better than Book 2.

I could easily see the events of Book 1 unfolding in today's America.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom