Meaning of Drawing / Shoot-Don't Shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to be a hostage.

I guess one could holster his weapon, put his foot on the perp's neck, and then ask the LEO to take a picture of one's "trophy". Making sure the perp is facing the camera, one could then post that picture all over the internet.

Believe me, the foot on the neck can be very painful.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess one could holster his weapon, put his foot on the perp's neck, and then ask the LEO to take a picture of one's "trophy". Making sure the perp is facing the camera, one could then post that picture all over the internet.

Believe me, the foot on the neck can be very painful.

I know you're joking, but to anyone else reading this that might not........don't get that close to a BG and try to keep from physically restraining him as much as possible. Unless you're a cop (on or off duty), you aren't properly trained to detain someone and could get yourself hurt or worse, not to mention sued by the BG because you crushed vertebrae in his neck or something stupid.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to be a hostage.

Uhh, what?

I think he was saying "you might have gotten the drop on him once, but what are your chances to draw a second time before he gets up and takes you hostage since you put your gun away before the pros showed up?"

If you guys ever hold someone at gunpoint, make sure that he (or she) is facing away from you so they can't see what you are doing, then holster the gun with your hand on the grip. Their hands should be visible to you at all times.

This is the way that Ayoob taught us at LFI.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you guys ever hold someone at gunpoint, make sure that he (or she) is facing away from you so they can't see what you are doing, then holster the gun with your hand on the grip. Their hands should be visible to you at all times.

This is the way that Ayoob taught us at LFI.

Exactly. You're not gonna stand right next to the guy and have a casual chat so he has an opportunity to grab you and grapple. Proned out, facing away, safe distance, gun at hand. When you can see the flashing lights on approach, you re-conceal your weapon so you don't have to do the whole felony perp routine of dropping your gun on the ground an getting proned out yourself. It might happen, but let the officer decide that based on you looking much less of a threat at the moment.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. You're not gonna stand right next to the guy and have a casual chat so he has an opportunity to grab you and grapple. Proned out, facing away, safe distance, gun at hand.

Exactly: do not speak to him any more than necessary to let him know what you want for him to do. Talking is distracting and bad guys know this, so they might try to engage you in a conversation. Do not let yourself be distracted by idle talk.
Keep focused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom