Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

• Total voters

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've been kind of crabby lately. Better lighten up or Santa will put a lumpp of coal in your stocking.

Don't start getting sensitive on me. If you're going to be my e-friend, you have to be able take criticism. :D

And I could be chock-full of BS, too. So there's always that possibility.

ETA: Maybe it's because work has went from slow to extremely busy, and I feel better after pointing out things that annoy me on the internet. That could be why you're usually an exponentially bigger jerk than I am, you work more than I do. :D

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously? What did he say? What was your response? I can't imagine people are that prickish IRL.

I would have said "I didn't mean it anyways, you *profanity*"
Well, I should have provided context.

I was a clerk at a liquor store, and he was a particularly grumpy old drunk. It wasn't an ordinary well-adjusted individual.

He kind of gave me a cross-eyed grumble and yelled "it's 'Merry Christmas'! I celebrate Christmas!" before storming out.

No good story about a clever response...heh, that was actually pretty tame compared to a few of the regulars.

I should note, he was back well before New Year's without skipping a beat.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do your research, Christmas started in/near England long ago with the poor going to the homes of the rich. They asked for handouts and "encouraged" them by once again using hints of religion to explain that if they did not peddle their wealth to beggars that bad things would happen to them.

Dont know where you got your info, but the 25th has been the Holy day of Obligation for the feast of Christ's mass since about 300AD. And although many pagan traditions are part of the celebration of Christ's Mass, as a great man once said: "We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it."

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know where you got your info, but the 25th has been the Holy day of Obligation for the feast of Christ's mass since about 300AD. And although many pagan traditions are part of the celebration of Christ's Mass, as a great man once said: "We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it."

Which, by the way, is 9 months after the Annunciation on the Spring Equinox.

There are two major influences for religious celebrations: astronomical events, and a pre-existing celebration of another religion or culture.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which, by the way, is 9 months after the Annunciation on the Spring Equinox.

There are two major influences for religious celebrations: astronomical events, and a pre-existing celebration of another religion or culture.

There is good reason for that too. Most of those days were picked under Constantine. Consider you are the head of one of the largest empires that just so happens to be crumbling. Lets say your empire has had more than 300 years of enslaving, torturing, and murdering Christians. In order to rejuvenate your empire, you decide that you are going to remove poly theistic paganism and make your empire Holy. How do you get all your citizens to transition quickly? ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom