Mike Rowe's (dirty jobs) letter to Romney...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Our overemphasis on everyone getting a college degree ties into the sense of entitlement that is crippling us. All honest work is honorable.

its not that we overemphisized anything, we just reached the pinnacle of the American Dream. No matter how hard the next generation works at any job, blue or white collar, they can only equal our success.

Generally speaking of course.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was great and accurate.

I would be considered a white collar worker but if I had it to do over again I think I would be a plumber.

I have told my boys and will tell my girls...get a job any job. There are three choice when you graduate high school...

get a jog and leave,
join the military and leave or
go to college/trade school and leave
Some combination of the the above is even better.

I know a lot of people who have made big piles of money and never set foot on a college campus, but they all worked hard.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at a technology center where they track job outcomes of students.

Some of the most successful and highest paid upon entering the workforce are electricians and welders.
Good welding skills can take you a long way in several different industries.

I would like to take some of their machinist courses myself.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And my wife still insists that our kids are going to go to college, everything else be damned. That's fine, if they choose a career that needs a degree. But if they can prosper on "blue collar work", more power to them; we'll see where they are, and what they aspire to when they're closer to that age. There's no shame in honest work, and I'd rather them feed their kids and succeed by fixing someone else's crappers, than watch them fill out endless applications and mail endless resumes with a degree they can only brag about.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Our overemphasis on everyone getting a college degree ties into the sense of entitlement that is crippling us. All honest work is honorable.

Amen. And didn't Mike Rowe kinda slap the face of the blue collar guys he made his money off of?

its not that we overemphisized anything, we just reached the pinnacle of the American Dream. No matter how hard the next generation works at any job, blue or white collar, they can only equal our success.

Generally speaking of course.

Success is not synonomous with a "college" education and as a matter of fact, Academic education is actually a farcical wild goose chase. Most successful people, i.e people that inherited their standing or wealth; including people like Romney, Ryan, Mark Zuckerburg, George Kaiser, etc. They're success is not independant. They were born into it.

All of these guys, Dem, or Rep. doesnt matter; did not acheive their success on account of their college education or necessarily through blue collar hard work; they acheived it through another entirely different secret education.

The education Im talking about is not taught in the American education system from k-P.hd, its taught through apprenticeship. Dont get me wrong, I in no way mean a skilled labor apprenticeship like Blacksmith, electrician, plumber, welder, etc. I mean an unlisted, unadvertised financial apprenticeship.

This education is strictly about one's associations. The students of this secret education didnt work hard at studying and score high on tests or did they even apply to take this coursework. They were given it freely without even asking. They were born into it, and the teachers of this clandestine education are very good at keeping it within their culture. They not only do not want the public to know, it goes against their very success if everyone knew the formula.

Why do you think Mitt Romney or George Kaiser will never tell people their financial secrets and instead tell people that success is only found through an excellent education and/or hard work? They keep perpetuating this ruse of "The American Dream" because without the masses chasing the motorized rabbit on a rail, they cant make money and entertain themselves watching us in our amusing wild goose chase.

I'm not saying that there not cracks for the lucky ones that arent born into this to slip through, people have built success 100% on their own. There are just very, very, very few of them compared to the silver spoon members.

As soon as we (actual blue collar / humble beginnings people) realize this, it opens our eyes to see the road to success more clearly. I myself have not found great financial success yet or even the correct forumla, but I now know Ill never get there though higher education and hard work alone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom