Mosin Nagant 91/30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently realized that firearms offer me a better time than sitting in my dorm room all day playing video games. My decision to quit buying electronics has suddenly left me with enough liquidity to expand my gun collection from a .30-06 and a couple shotguns to a wider variety of guns, recently including a Marlin 917VST in .17 HMR and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. I'm an Air Force ROTC cadet, and I'm letting the stipend money pile up to see what I can add.

Until recently, my plan had been to get around $800 together and pick up a Savage 12FV in .223 with a decent scope, and take care of some coyotes. Here's where I'm uncertain. I've read in several places that an accurate .17 with an accurate shooter can kill a coyote sized target with a shot to the head. I consider myself to fit into both of those categories. Also, I'm confident enough in my calling abilities to get a coyote close enough to take out a considerable number of them with a shotgun.

With the .17 and a 12 gauge, I feel like I have my bases covered out to about 150 yards. Here's my question:

Will a Mosin Nagant shooting 7.62x54mmR 147-gr. FMJs, with a good scope, extend my range beyond 200-250 yards for coyotes? I'm less concerned with pelt preservation as I am with helping out some friends with coyote issues. If the Mosin Nagant gives me more range, then I'll expand my interest to a wider range of guns.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh heck, yes! The 7.62x54R round out of a 91/30 is effective out to 500 yards, easily. Now, whether or not it'll be very accurate at such distances is the question ;)

Actually, with a good scope, and some zeroing in beforehand, it's a viable solution unless the bore is shot out. WW2 Soviet snipers made a name for themselves picking off Germans at long range, using 3.5-power scopes on their 91/30 PU sniper rifles.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, that's good to hear. I'll probably put a Nikon Buckmaster on it, 4-12x-50mm. I don't have access to many places with shots outside of that range, but I'm the kind of guy who buys things with thoughts of what MIGHT be necessary in mind, rather than my current needs. I really like the Remington R-15 Varmint rifles. They're a little steep for me, but I figure that I can save up the money and then reassess my needs.

And just some props, I don't even live in Oklahoma but these forums are my new love. I'm in Fayetteville, Arkansas, but I have no problem putting up some money for an OK license so I can take advantage of all of your local advice.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .17 HMR and love it. used it to kill some coyotes, farthest was about 75 yds right in the ear. Be careful with it though, a 10 mph wind will push it all over the place past 100 yards.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Remington R-15 Varmint rifles. They're a little steep for me, but I figure that I can save up the money and then reassess my needs.

Save up, You'll really like the Remmy. Put the Nikon Coyote Special scope on it and you can shoot dead on out to 400yds, using the ballistic compensator.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Mosin shoots really well. I bet I could hit a coyote out to 200 yards the way it is using Bulgarian 149gr Surplus.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0144.jpg

The 7.62x54R isn't that far behind the 30-06, why don't you just use your 30-06 for coyotes instead of spending money on a scope for your Mosin Nagant?

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would consider using the .30-06 just to mix things up occasionally, but the ammo (even soft points) in 7.62x54 is too cheap to pass on.

That, and I'm a Russian Area Studies major, so I get a nostalgic feeling from the Mosin and would like to use it as much as possible.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grafs has 123gn .3105 V-Max bullets that shoot very well from tighter Mosins. You can push them with 91/30 to about 3000fps before they come apart from centrifugal force. Very good varmint bullet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom