Most interesting place you have spent Thanksgiving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about a couple of my Thanksgivings that I spent away from home and wondered if anyone else had any fond or not so fond memories of an interesting Thanksgiving. I have two different interesting places I spent Thanksgiving.

I spent Thanksgiving 1993 in boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego Ca. We did about as little as you could do at boot camp and had a "Thanksgiving meal". Sliced turkey and such. That was the first of many Thanksgivings I would spend away from home.

The second is Thanksgiving 2001. In August 2001 I left Camp Pendleton Ca. with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Do to 9/11 by the end of October we were sitting off the coast of Pakistan waiting further orders. About mid November we found out that around Thanksgiving we were going go into Afghanistan. A couple of days before we had "Thanksgiving" on ship. The food was good and there was plenty of it. That Tuesday or Wednesday we flew from the USS Peleliu to Pakistan. I ended up spending Thanksgiving in Pakistan, dont worry I found a Turkey MRE for dinner. 24hrs later give or take we were in Afghanistan taking over Camp Rhino.

Lets hear about other Thanksgivings spent in odd places.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent a ton of Thanksgiving's overseas in various settings but one of the most memorable was stateside.

I was assigned to the White House Communications Agency, and working Gore's detail....he decided to go home to Carthage for Thanksgiving and, after securing him at his residence, we were all deposited in a motel out by the highway for days. Thanksgiving Day came and no arrangements were made for us to have a Thanksgiving dinner. It was shaping up to be a McDonald's Thanksgiving when the guy who owned a restaurant across the street found out there was a bunch of G.I.s stuck in a motel. He opened the doors to his closed-door, private family dinner at the restaurant to all of us. We ate tons of food and watched football with him and his family...class act.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanksgiving 2005, Waterford, Ireland

Nothing particularly memorable about that one (not celebrated in Europe, obviously), but the thing I did notice was watching European TV, how every news station had to feature a couple of stories on American Thanksgiving, mostly focusing on how America was celebrating their gluttony, obesity and living high on the hog while everyone else around the world was suffering and starving.

Felt like we were really hated living over there sometimes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom