Most interesting place you have spent Thanksgiving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No place as cool as some of you guys have been, but the most interesting would be in Marfa TX. We had been working on a rig about 20 miles south of Pecos Tx. Decided we were going to go to Old Mexico for Thanksgiving. On the way we decided to go and see the Marfa lights instead. We ended up eating diner in some old mexican cafe in Marfa. Great food and had fun with the locals. It was fun.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1988, U.S. Ambassadors compound, Santiago Chile, to the sounds at the walls of "No Pinoche, No Pinoche!" And water cannons being deployed on said chanters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was assigned to the White House Communications Agency, and working Gore's detail.....

Damm, I worked for the same agency, when coming back to the states, but was at Ft Leavenworth, working the commo for secure communincations with AF1.
Didn't have the SAT stuff they have now. It was a regional thing back in the day. Its all history now.

As far as thanksgiving, I spent mine in many country's in the SE Asia region over the years. I will say this, it didn't matter where you were, or the conditions, they did everything possible to get you a hot meal for thanksgiving and Christmas, no matter if it was an air drop.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The day before Thanksgiving, 1975, my squadron flew into Gitmo to meet up with the USS America. The next morning, they started ferrying us to the ship in LCMPs. Of course, many of us had gone out to the E-club the night before, so I was already feeling a bit queasy (read "hungover".) The LCMP I rode in was blowing diesel exhaust everywhere, so I got sicker than what I was when I woke up. Needless to say, I did not eat a big turkey dinner that Thanksgiving. It was, however, the start of a long, miserable time with the America-the worst of the four carriers I served on (the others being the Enterprise [1974-75], Kitty Hawk [1981] and the Nimitz [1982-83].)

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent Thanksgiving 2010 in Sarasota, FL. I had never traveled away from home for any holiday and was nervous that I might regret it. I talked to my mom on Thanksgiving morning and she informed me that my brothers were on the roof freezing their asses off while putting up the Christmas lights. I realized that maybe spending one Thanksgiving away from home wasn't so bad, especially considering I was a mile away from the beach and it was in the mid-80s. This pic was taken right before or right after that conversation:
76650_10150095284756690_2914480_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom