Mountain Lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected. In my defense the numbers do vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

Never knew they had so many names.

I still say they are not a creature of habit. They still cover alot of area.

I will stand by my view that people that see them all the time in the same spot are a little imaginative. Don't want to say they are full of it bit but I am skeptic.

Info from the link you posted:

Social structure and home range

Like almost all cats, the cougar is a solitary animal. Only mothers and kittens live in groups, with adults meeting only to mate. It is secretive and crepuscular, being most active around dawn and dusk.

Estimates of territory sizes vary greatly. Canadian Geographic reports large male territories of 150 to 1000 square kilometers (58 to 386 sq mi) with female ranges half the size.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is NOT a moutain lion, puma, catamount....whatever....NOT a lion.
That is just a big house cat. Warden has him held out way in front.....just like a bass fisherman does to make him look bigger. The trucker that hit him was really driving an old Chevy Luv.....that's why it looked so big.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While cats may have a large home range just like any other major preditor they will stay in one area if food and water is easy and in good numbers. If they must travel to find food they will roam a vast area.
h4everything-My buddy would call the bluff in he and his wife and the rest of the folks in the town are seeing things. The things lives on the Mt. behind his house. Dennishoddy knows who I'm talking about and can attest to his credability.
I have seen 4 over the years while out hunting, 2 coming in the same day and likely the same cat. I know a Mt. Lion when I see one. A hunting partner and I had to put one down in self defence several years ago while bear hunting in California. It fell dead 10' from us.
1mathom1-if that's a house cat the owners needed to stop giving it roids. lol

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think their're kidding Bull. I was borned and raised in Oklahoma and at least for the past 50 years every now and then you would hear about someone or someone's neighbor seeing a big black cat with a long tail. Thus the remark, if it ain't black it ain't a mountain lion. Back to the lion in Med. Park...Pictures would sure help...

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked to my buddy and he said the pics didn't turn out as they are too dark and they were taken with a disposable camera at night. He doesn't have a digital camera. As I told Dennis I wished I had taken pics of the tracks I saw last Sat. I can go to this area and always find cat tracks in the mud and sand. The back pad was about 3" wide for the momma and about 2" for the kitten. All side by side right near a busted up gut pile. About 30 prints in all.
I'm starting to think that at a state level no one wants to admit that cats are doing well here in OK and as such physical proof is needed be it a dead cat or print castings?

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one on our lease that jumped a deer my cousin had shot with his bow. The cat finished it then covered it up with leaves and left. This happened 3 years ago, then last year I was sitting before light in the stand and heard one scream or whatever you call their vocalization. I know it was like nothing I had ever heard before, the bow was on the hanger and the 1911 was in my lap the rest of the morning though. I have seen tracks numerous times around the edge of the river.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all that keep seeing these tracks need to invest a couple of dollars in some plaster of paris, and make a cast of the print. Tracks don't dissapear overnight unless it rains. Mountain lion tracks are easy to identify vs feral dog, etc.

In the link, note the rear pad with the three humps, and also you can listen to their vocalization by clicking on the link.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom